Need Idea's and Thoughts on how you solved this problem.

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
I just laid the support arm on the rail for the photo.
The wedding cake stair support arm that goes from the upright pole on your stairs is suppose to screw down to your deck for added strength. As you can see because of the top rail there is about a 3" gap between the deck and the arm. Has anyone come up with a good idea or solution to fix this problem? I do not want to cut any top rails.
Come on McGyver's i know you are out there!

I saw a picture someone on this site had a peice of grey rubber which matched the deck, kind of like those float mats that are foam coated in plastic. Does that make sense? I'm pretty sure there is a picture of it in the slide show. Maybe you can cut a piece like that to wedge tightly in there?

Our pool is backfilled about 18" on the side where my ladder is going, I had to cut the ladder on the outside to make it level. We are using the rubber stepping stones from Lowes to make it level since we needed to cut the outside a touch shorter than we wanted because of where the step is on the ladder. You could use two or three of these stacked too. They are about 7 bucks each.

Yes there is a handrail on one side and also another upright on the other side of the top step that you attached another arm and then cut the upright flush with the top of the arm and cap it.

I installed this pool in August of last year so this will be our first real spring / summer and the first time to attach these steps.

I want to post more photos later of what we had to do to install on a major sloped back yard.

I believe these supports are mainly to ensure the steps dont stray from the edge of the pool...If it were me this is what i would do:

I would take a protractor and trace the shape of the rail onto the side of the support on each side. I would then carve that shape out of each side...that should bring the support down to the deck for fastening with supplied screws.

But that's me...It would drive me crazy to see a block or something wedged under the support. hope this helps.

Bo

Hi Johnnysnok :wave:

I have the best solution ever...LOWER THE POOL or RAISE THE DECK!!!!! :whoot:

Joking aside :jocolor: If you are not wanting the remove the brace and not wanting to cut any rails then the only thing I can think of is building a shim. I see you have a composite deck. I think the decking is hollow correct? If it is hollow then use some treated wood decking. I would take a couple peices of the wood decking and mount them together to the correct size that would fill the gap. To make them look good and match the deck I would cut them to the shape of the brace and then find a paint/stain that matches the deck color and piant the shim. Mount the shim to the deck then mount the brace to the shim and your done. I think it would look good and not take away from the great looking pool you already have.

:cheers:

On my steps, the support like you are showing is the same way. I cut a 4x4 (that I had left from building my deck) and it was just right to secure to the deck and the the step support secured to the 4x4.
And just my opinion (and experience) If you do not use the support you steps WILL eventually move. When you get the water splashing , swirling (kids playing ) the water will move your steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
johnnysnok said:
Well here is what i ended up doing to secure my wedding cake steps to my deck. I took the support arm and scribed the top rail profile and cut it out. Some one mentioned this and i think it works well.

I didn't think you liked my idea...glad you gave it a shot...man that looks real clean! Good job! Love your deck area...post more pics of it if you will.

Fellow Jersey boy here...from Bergen county...city of Garfield...take care...Bo

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.