Building a house and pool

Apr 19, 2011
My wife and I are building a house and we're planning to install an in-ground pool as well. She has had a pool for the past 15 years and is set on it. I've never had a pool. We don't need a large pool or anything like a slide or diving board. Just something to float around in after a long day of work. I'm interested in one of those high powered pump things so I can swim against the current. I'm not sure we'll go that way, but I would like to look into them. I really think I will use the pool on a near daily basis if I could do some stationary swimming.

Here are some of the things we know we want.
1. Fiberglass pool. That's what my wife had and she's comfortable with it. She has a couple of dogs that aren't smart enough to stay out of the water and she thinks they would possibly damage a liner.
2. Salt water pool. Her pool was not salt water, but she thinks that's the way to go. Less maintenance is the main driving factor.
3. Maximum depth of 5 feet or so. We really don't need anything deeper than that. I don't see the need for a 'deep end' since we won't have a diving board. I just don't see the purpose in a deep end.

I think that's about it. We were looking online last weekend and she's thinking a kidney shaped pool would be nice. Her pool was rectangular and she wants something different.

I would love to hear some comments about the 'endless pool' type device. In my initial searches I haven't come up with much information, but I haven't spent much time on it yet. I would like to hear from some people that have them and if they're as useful as they seem.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Thad

Welcome to TFP!

While it is possible for dogs to damage vinyl if they work at it, it is incredibly rare for it to actually happen.

I love salt pools, that is a great idea.

Getting a deep end or not is a personal preference. Some people like them so they can dive, sometimes kids like them to swim down to fetch toys, and some people like to do certain water exercises that need relatively deep water, but others are very happy without them.

An endless pool costs noticeably more, places a number of constraints on the shape of the pool, and has minor additional maintenance issues. That said, there is no other easy way to get a serious exercise pool without making the pool quite large.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.