pump speed and SWG

Sep 28, 2009
Hi

I have a 15K gallon pool (pebble sheen) with a Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 SVRS pump. I also have a Goldline SWG T-Cell 15. The pool is about a year old.

How long and at what speed do I need to run the pump to generate enough chlorine? I've been running at 3000rpm for 4 hours and 1100rpm for 2 hours and have had trouble maintaining chlorine levels. Is it better to run the pump at lower rpm's for a longer period of time? What is the minimum speed at which the SWG will produce chlorine?

Part of the problem is that my TA and PH have been rather high. No matter what I try (acid or baking soda), I can't seem to reduce them. I'm certain that the TA and PH are part of the problem. The SWG seems to produce chlorine, but it seems to dissipate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

With that set up you are not taking advantage of the energy saving you get from that pump.
Basic rule of thumb, half the rpm's=4x energy savings. I assume that is why you bought it.

So you should be running it on high for cleaning, sweeping, skimming for a couple of hours and on a low speed for a long period of time.
As far as best low speed for the salt cell. Trial and error are best. Start low, and keep upping it till the cell sees enough flow to turn on, then raise another 100.
Keep an eye on this as if the filter gets quite a bit dirtier, that flow will slow down.

Definitely lower power for longer, that is the way to save the most electricity. Try it around 1000 RPM or 1200 RPM to start with and see how things go. Sometimes on a low speed the skimmers don't work as well or the SWG complains about lack of flow. If either of those things happen, turn the speed up 200 RPM and see what happens. If everything is fine right off, try turning the speed down just a little as see how that goes. Repeating as needed until everything is working just right.

vyaralian said:
Hi

I have a 15K gallon pool (pebble sheen) with a Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 SVRS pump. I also have a Goldline SWG T-Cell 15. The pool is about a year old.

How long and at what speed do I need to run the pump to generate enough chlorine? I've been running at 3000rpm for 4 hours and 1100rpm for 2 hours and have had trouble maintaining chlorine levels. Is it better to run the pump at lower rpm's for a longer period of time? What is the minimum speed at which the SWG will produce chlorine?

Part of the problem is that my TA and PH have been rather high. No matter what I try (acid or baking soda), I can't seem to reduce them. I'm certain that the TA and PH are part of the problem. The SWG seems to produce chlorine, but it seems to dissipate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not saying there is any reason to suspect anything other than not enough runtime/output, but have you by any chance done an overnight FC Loss Test?
Overnight FC Loss Test

Make sure your FC is holding overnight, and if it's not - the output coming from your pump/cell may be fine your just possibly fighting nascent algae.

Just to touch on something you said:
"Part of the problem is that my TA and PH have been rather high. No matter what I try (acid or baking soda), I can't seem to reduce them. " Baking Soda increases TA - Acid reduces it. Wanted to make sure you didn't overlook that, though it probably doesn't have anything to do with your chlorine issue.

If you'd like to post a full set of results, we can advise you further if you are interested. :wink:

Thank you for all the advice.

How long would you recommend to run the pump on low speeds to turn the water?

Also, is there a way to tell if the SWG is not working because the pump speed is too low, without waiting for the chlorine levels to drop?

If the unit is detecting low flow, it will show on the controller display.

You have to make sure that the correct cell is selected in the setup menu.

Besides the pump run time, you also have to adjust the percentage of time that the cell runs.

The T-CELL-15 is for pools up to 40,000 gallons, so you should be able to make plenty of chlorine.

You also have to make sure that all of your chemistry levels are correct. Can you list all of the following:

FC
CC
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric acid
Salt level
Temperature

If you run the pump at 20 gpm continuously, then that will give you 2 turnovers of the water and will allow you to make plenty of chlorine.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/Manual345.pdf

>> 15K gallon ...Intelliflo VS-3050 ....Goldline SWG T-Cell 15

almost same equipment and pool is same size (see sigline for my specs). I run my IntelliFlow VF at 20 GPM for 5 hours a day and IntelliChlor IC40 is set at 20% runtime generation so it should be producing gas for about 60 minutes each day.

In addition to the 5 hours, I also run for 6 hours at 15 GPM but the IntelliChlor system is OFF for this additional pure filtering run schedule.

My FC is hovering each day at around 4.0

Since you have been having trouble with high pH and TA recently, you should check the cell for scaling and clean it if necessary.

For your pool size, I would think that you would not want to run the pump at more than 2,500 rpm at any time.

What filter do you have?

Does the Penatir Intelliflo tell you how many GPM you are getting? It says that it can get 174 GPM, but is there a way to see the actual output?

Susa mentioned that their pump is set at 20GPM. I didn't know that you could set the pump at GPM's, instead on RPM's. Can somebody tell me how to do that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The IntelliFlo VF will tell you how many GPM it is moving, but the other models will not. There is a spreadsheet around that will estimate the GPM given a speed and a watts reading from the pump. Some models will read those out directly, others require a Pentair automation system be connected to read out the watts.

JasonLion said:
The IntelliFlo VF will tell you how many GPM it is moving, but the other models will not. There is a spreadsheet around that will estimate the GPM given a speed and a watts reading from the pump. Some models will read those out directly, others require a Pentair automation system be connected to read out the watts.

Jason where can we find the spread sheet?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.