Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool vacuum

1. Back To Top    #1

Double Oak, TX

Pool vacuum

I have a Lettro (now Pentair) Legend. 10 years old. Still works well.

It has been very windy in TX and I am collecting dust/sand in the pool at record levels, especially in shallow area like steps into the pool and pool seats. Historically I sweep the sand to deep end of pool, sweep into filter, and allow the robot to [ick up[ what it can. I have been considering a pool vacuum for a couple years because this process is inefficient. I have large collections of sand in a small space, then sweep the sand to the furthest pool location with the highest volume of water. Is there a quality pool vacuum I can use for spot cleaning that will improve the efficiency of removing sand from the pool?

35K gallons, StaRite S8D110 DE Filter, Pentair IntelliFlo vs3050 pump, IG gunite

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Pool vacuum

I have a cheap vacuum head I bought at Lowes. Without a lengthy explanation of why it has to be this way, I connect the hose straight into the inlet in the strainer. Believe me, it sucks plenty hard! Getting shingle grit out of the corners is the hard part; the vacuum will pick them up no problem. And it takes a pretty good tug to get the hose adaptor out of the skimmer when it's running.

I don't think you need to look for the Cadillac of vacuums.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!