Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: POOL CLORINATOR INSTALLATION MAIN PUMP REPLACEMENT?

1. Back To Top    #1

POOL CLORINATOR INSTALLATION MAIN PUMP REPLACEMENT?

Hello Friends,

I hope everything is going good for you! I just bought a new 40k Aqua Rite Chorine generator for my 28k capacity pool. Since I have very little experience with pools and service, I wanted to ask if I need to replace my 8 year old 1.5HP single speed pump. The budget is tight but I need to take care of the pool properly even if impacts my bottom line. Also I was strongly considering buying a multispeed four speed pump from Pentair.
    Please advice,
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: POOL CLORINATOR INSTALLATION MAIN PUMP REPLACEMENT?

Don't fix it if it ain't broke is a good motto.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Don't fix it if it ain't broke is a good motto.
    That is an excellent quote! I was wondering if the need to create chlorine will also increase the running time of my pump. The more time the pump runs, the higher electric bill will be? My current pump is not a very energy efficient model.

Thank you for posting,
    George
    22k plaster pool kidney shape. Pentair 4000 de series 48 ft. 2 SKIMMERS, 2 drains (pool and spa), 3 returns (2 pool and 1 spa) gas heater and pentair intelliflow , Underwater pentair light.

4. Back To Top    #4

With the 40K unit on a 28K pool you should still be alright even with a fairly low pump runtime. If you are somewhere where it gets exceptionally hot in the summer you might need to increase the pump run time a little, but that seems unlikely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    With the 40K unit on a 28K pool you should still be alright even with a fairly low pump runtime. If you are somewhere where it gets exceptionally hot in the summer you might need to increase the pump run time a little, but that seems unlikely.
    Thanks so much for input! I read many of your post to expand my learning.

To give you an insight regarding my pool details:

I live in S. Cal. the average temperatures during the summer are in the low 90's. My real concern is the extra running time for the pump to create the Chlorine properly.

Thanks again,
    George

6. Back To Top    #6

How long have you been running your pump in the past?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    How long have you been running your pump in the past?
    six hours a day!

8. Back To Top    #8

That should be plenty of run time. Some of the more experienced SWG folks can give their 2 cents as well.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    That should be plenty of run time. Some of the more experienced SWG folks can give their 2 cents as well.
    Thanks, Since I am new, I welcome any good information!

George