First time Balancing the Water

Mar 7, 2011
Columbia, SC
I've got a compupool SWG on the way and hope to have it installed by Friday. I tested the pool water today and wanted to see if y'all would recommend doing anything (based on the current numbers) before we install the SWG.

CYA: 0
FC: 0
TC: .1
pH: 8.8
TA: 136

Anything else I should be testing for? I tried using the Pool Calculator but can't figure out how much salt I will need to add to get going.

Pool is 16x36, 23,700 gallons, vinyl lined

Thanks so much!

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

The first thing I would do is Read Pool School and use the pool calculator to help with the chemicals. The links to both are in my sig. Next, get your PH down, 8.8 is to high. I would aim for 7.5 on the PH. With a salt pool you should have around 70 to 80 ppm of CYA. Be careful not to add to much. It is hard to lower if to high. While your waiting for the SWG to get their I would get some chlorine in the pool. You don't want your pool without any FC for long, algea love to grow and grows quickly.

:cheers:

You need to get the FC up to at least 3 and then add acid to get the pH down to 7.5 then add enough CYA to get to about 30.

You need to have the pool free of algae and balanced according to the pool school article about balance for a swg.

How did you get those test results?

To get the amount of salt to add you need to test and see what you have in there now and enter it in the now column, then put the amount the swcg needs in the target column and it'll tell you how much to add.

Sunnysc said:
Thanks for the info. I had the water tested at the pool supply shop.

I have what I need for the ph down. Can I do that first in the morning and then add the chlorine in the afternoon or do they need to be done together?
Standard practice seems to be add one, let it mix, then add the other half an hour or more later.

Did the Pool Store sell you muriatic acid, or some pricey bucket of magic powder? And get your own test kit ASAP! There's a brief article in Pool School that explains what you want and why. You're at the mercy of the Pool Store at the moment. You won't need to read long here to find examples of erroneous readings, as well as expensive "fixes" from Pool Stores.

I figured that out from reading lots of other posts the past few weeks. I just got them to print out my levels an left! I have ordered a t100 or something like that from the test kits website that is recommended on here. I knew that I could count on y'all to help me figure it out without paying for the magic powder at a ridculous price! ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.