Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What are the chances of Liquid Bleach staining my liner

1. Back To Top    #1

What are the chances of Liquid Bleach staining my liner

I'll be doing BBB and in fact I'll be shocking my pool with Liquid Bleach picked up from the grocery store.

In applying the bleach, what is the likely hood staining my liner with the concentrated bleach, my pool and liner are 2 years old and in perfect condition, the thought of staining it worries me, is this even possible?

18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: What are the chances of Liquid Bleach staining my liner

As long as you are adding the bleach while the pump is running to circulate the bleach you should have no problems with staining. Add the bleach infront of the return. If the pump is not running you should add the bleach while walking around the pool. That will help circulate the bleach but you still need to move the water around so none of the bleach can concentrate in to one area. Brshing the pool is a good way of mixing the bleach with the water. I used bleach before I got my SWG and had no issues with staining in the pool.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: What are the chances of Liquid Bleach staining my liner

Bleach and chlorinating liquid are denser than water when in concentrated form so if you just dump it in quickly away from a return or with the pump off then it can settle at the bottom of the pool still too concentrated. However, if you add it slowly over a return flow with the pump running and then additionally lightly brush the side and bottom of the pool where you've added it, then it will be thoroughly mixed with virtually no risk of any problems. Also, for vinyl, acid is more damaging than chlorine so extra care must be taken when adding acid to the pool.

The combination of acid and chlorine is particularly troublesome which is why a Trichlor puck resting against vinyl will almost always fade it or worse.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"