Comments Requested re Pool Builder's Recs

We are having our pool renovated (re-marcite, plus new tile and coping). Pool builder has also recommended replacing the pump, filter and heater. The pump recommendation is based on turnover (current pump is not full rated and turnover is pretty horrible); pool builder seems to prefer the cartridge over sand (I've read the pros and cons in pool school, but am interested in hearing from others); and the current heater is lower efficiency (and seems to be leaching cooper).

Here are the recommendations:

Pump: Pentair WhisperFlo - 1.5 HP
Filter: Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 520
Heater: Pentair Master Temp 250
Cleaner: Pentair Legend Platinum

We currently do not have a cleaner, so I have no idea how to compair. Pool builder also recommends and online chlorinator -- any thoughts there?

I'll let he experts talk specifics but I'd consider a dual speed or variable speed pump. You do have a large pool so I'm not sure how much power you need. The Mods will ask about spa's, water features, etc. I live in CA and the energy savings of low power for circulation and high for cleaning is worth it.

The Whisperflo is definitely a good pump but as Sportsman said, ask for a 2-speed and most likely a 1 hp would be plenty unless you have some water features that require a lot of flow.
That filter is a excellent recommendation but with a 300 lb sand filter I'm not sure you need to change that. That'll be your call.
If you're going to change the heater go with a 400k btu. With a 250k you're not upgrading your just changing.
Can't comment on the cleaner.
DON'T let them talk you into the chlorinator. If anything keep the sand filter and get a swcg or a peristaltic liquid chlorine injection pump.

As for your current heater, if you learn to keep the chems balanced you can stop the heater from leaching copper. Personally I wouldn't get rid of it if it's working. I use it up then swap for a new one.

Thanks for the quick comments. We do not have a spa or any water features. Also, I really do not want the chlorinator (thanks for confirming that decision).

I am also on the fence with the heater. I believe that the copper is from a prior heater and a prior owner (we have had the house and pool for one season, and chems were always balanced using test kit and techniques learned on this site). That said, I see the upsides (higher efficiency and the extended warranty for buying the package).

I didn't take the 2 year longer warranty into consideration, but if you keep the filter and heater you'll save enough to cover the cost of a new pump beyond one year. Even if you decided to keep the heater and replace the pump, filter & get a pentair swcg you will get the 3 year warranty I believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.