Pool Does Not Get Enough Sun

Jul 1, 2010
Orange County, NY
We installed our pool last year. We were / are unable to remove enough trees to provide adequate sunlight to heat the pool. The best we did was about 72 degrees except during the week of 100+ degree days, then we reached 80 but on average we were seeing about 68 or 69 degrees. I would ideally like to see the temp at 79 or 80 consistently however, the pool only gets direct sunlight from about 11am - 4:30pm.

What is the best alternative heat method? Solar may be difficult due to the lack of sunlight, but I might be able to set panels someplace where they will get more time in the sun but will I get the added temps I am looking for? How far is my pump able to move water? To get the most sun the panels would have to be located quite a distance from the pool.

All suggestions will be appreciated. I am very handy when it comes to plumbing / electrical so if there is a way of building something I am willing to try.

Adding a solar blanket would be the first step regardless of what else you may try. It will save you 5 or 6 degrees every night, which will allow it to get quite a bit warmer than it would without the blanket.

11-4:30 is the most intense solar heating time, so some panels would certainly help if you have the space.

I would suggest looking in to solar panels to heat the water. The panela can be mounted on roofs that have direct sunlight all day. I don't have any yet but plan on adding them to my pool. Their are many people here that use them and love them. Someone should be around to give better details.

:wave:

Marcm...feel free to PM me neighbor. I have about the same situation in Dutchess cty as you do accross the river. Our pool is 30-40 ft away from 80+ft tall trees and lose the sun after 3:30 (mid-summer). Without the solar cover and two panels, low 70's is best we can hope for. I laid 2 4x20 solar bear panels, next to the pool and use a solar cover every night...80+ is not a problem. We went away for 5 days mid-jul and I left the panel valve open by accident :oops: , when we got back, I couldn't wait to jump in because it was so darn hot out (95deg...I know not bad by southern standards :lol: )...to my surprise, I felt like I hopped inot a bowl of 92deg soup...yup, the water hit 92 :shock:

Anyhow, my advice is 2 panels and a solar cover...check craigslist too!

The below pic shows only one panel, but I've since added a second. The panels itself get sun from about 10am-3pm and are good for a 4-6 deg rise in temp per day. Retain that heat with a solar cover and you'll be in business :goodjob:

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.