Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: No gear, no chemicals...where do I start?

1. Back To Top    #1

No gear, no chemicals...where do I start?

We bought a fixer-upper last year and just got the liner in the pool replaced.

We have no pool gear (other than a working pump), or chemicals. The guys that installed the liner got us up and running and made sure the pumps work and got the various levels of things correct, but now we're on our on.

(Showing my ignorance here...) I know we've got a place near our pump where you can drop chlorine tablets in (no idea what it's called).

I believe the pool is about 15'x30'.

So, a few questions...

1) What are "must have" items (brush, skimming net, etc etc)?

2) What should I be doing on a weekly basis to make sure the water stays clear/swimmable?
    22,000 gallon vinyl in ground with Hayward S244T sand filter and Hayward 3/4 hp Super Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: No gear, no chemicals...where do I start?

Start with Pool School

A good first read would be: Basic Pool Care Schedule

Posting some pictures of your equipment would let the experienced folks explain things to you more quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Are you sure you have a spot to drop tablets in? All the chlorinator systems I've seen are post filter, which is post pump (although I'm no expert). I think what you are referring to is your filter basket for the pump, and you should not put tablets in that basket. In fact, you may want to avoid tablets alltogether, which you'll learn about in the pool school link provided.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Shpigford
    We bought a fixer-upper last year and just got the liner in the pool replaced.

We have no pool gear (other than a working pump), or chemicals. The guys that installed the liner got us up and running and made sure the pumps work and got the various levels of things correct, but now we're on our on.

(Showing my ignorance here...) I know we've got a place near our pump where you can drop chlorine tablets in (no idea what it's called).

I believe the pool is about 15'x30'.

So, a few questions...

1) What are "must have" items (brush, skimming net, etc etc)?

2) What should I be doing on a weekly basis to make sure the water stays clear/swimmable?
    There is great information available here and specifically under Pool School. I strongly suggest reading the whole Pool School section.

1) A Wall Whale brush, leaf rack, vacuum hose, vacuum plate, vacuum head, telescoping pole, good test kit (one is available on this site) are part of a good start. On a large pool, my opinion is an automatic pool cleaner is a good thing to have.

2) Test, Test, Test. Testing and Tracking is the key. If you track/record your test data, you will get a good idea of when you need to do what. You will see a pattern. For TA in my pool, I need to check it about every 4 weeks but I check pH weekly (every pool is different).

It is a big help to the Forum if you put your pool details in your signature line (type, size, equipment, etc).
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.