DE MEDIA HELP?

I have a de filter. I replaced the grids and manifold towards the end of last year’s pool season. Just opened the pool a couple of weeks ago.

Here are the problems:

When I opened the pump skimmer thing, white cloudy water from the filter filled it.
Then when I turned the filter back on a white cloud of de started blowing out of the returns.
The white cloud stopped after a few seconds, but now there is a lot of media on the bottom of the pool. Even after I vacuum, the next morning the bottom has media in the corners and on the bottom by the returns.

My questions are:

*How do I fix what’s going on?

*Did I put to much media? It calls for nine pounds. Does that mean 9 pounds, (I actually weighed it out).

*Are you supposed to mix de with water in a bucket before pouring into the skimmer or just pour the scoops directly into skimmer with mixing first?

*Should I expect “some” media to escape?

I would appreciate any input or suggestions.

When everything is working correctly, no DE should get out of the filter except through the backwash pipe.

The most likely possibility is that you have air trapped in the filter which is forcing some DE back into the pump and intake plumbing when the pump stops. Try opening the air bleed valve on the filter while the pump is running and then close it when you get a steady stream of water coming out. It is also possible that something is broken either inside the filter or inside the multi-port valve, though that seems less likely given it only happens when you start the pump and only for a short time.

You are supposed to mix the DE with water and then pour the slurry into the skimmer.

DE is really supposed to be done by weight, so weighing it is ideal. The density is fairly uniform, so you can get scoops that are labeled by weight. Remember that you only want to add 80% as much after a backwash, but add the full amount after a complete clean out.

Welcome to TFP!!

If you have a 9 lb filter, you have a multiport - which might be the cause of the DE backflow into the pump.

Please read this and check that you've followed the advice, and point out where you haven't.

In this case, knowing what you've done and haven't v.s. what's recommended could well help us diagnose both the cause and fix for your situation :cool:

We're gonna get this solved :goodjob:

Thanks folks!
I’ve been stuck at work for the past two days. But I have the next 10 days off so I hope that I can get to the root of the problem. Good news “I guess” is that there did not seem to be any more de on the bottom of the pool this morning than was there yesterday and the pump ran all night. So I assume that is good news, and the water is crystal clear.
I did release the valve on the top, first air came out, the de mud, then clear water.

I pretty much understand the advice given and appreciate the link to the “sticky” on de filters.
Now I just need to put your advice to work. I’m nervous about taking the filter apart, but I know I have to get over that. I have a friend who knows a lot about pools but hate to over extend our friendship by turning him into my “pool man”. So I appreciate the advice given here.

I will keep you posted on what happens next……
:?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.