Time for a new AGP

huenix

Jun 2, 2007
Between outgrowing our existing 18' pool and finding the liner shredded after a long and brutal winter, we are contemplating replacing our pool.

A couple questions:

What do you get out of having a larger top rail? Is it just the look of it? On our current pool I can't ever remember sitting on the rail, but at the same time it's small enough that I dont think it would be comfortable.

Any recommendations for reliable online retailers? I feel like a lot of the local pool stores are way overpriced. The only dealer I am comfortable with is an hour away (I live in the sticks) and while they carry good brands, their prices are significanly higher than online places I have seen.

Is foam coving worth the money? How about a pad for the bottom?

Is it worth it to hard-plumb the pump? I have a sunheater that is hard plumbed and I really like it so I am considering either moving the pump and filter away from the pool, or moving it under the mini-deck I will build if I buy a new pool.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I'm indifferent on the top rail. I have a 9" and never use it, although we do have a deck attached. Having a sand bottom/cove of my own...when it's time to replace the liner, I will certainly opt for the foam cove and bottom pad. Our pool is going on year 3 and the sand bottom is holding up well, but it's not perfect. Lastly, I did hard plumb and will never go back to soft plumbing, with hoses breaking, leaking, etc.

We have an 8" top rail and though the GS walks on it all the time (regardless how many times we tell him not to) it's not something I would specify.
we have a gorilla pad floor and next time I will have a foam pad. We have the foam cove and my sis has sand and the foam is the way to go.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.