Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Time for a new AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Time for a new AGP

Between outgrowing our existing 18' pool and finding the liner shredded after a long and brutal winter, we are contemplating replacing our pool.

A couple questions:

What do you get out of having a larger top rail? Is it just the look of it? On our current pool I can't ever remember sitting on the rail, but at the same time it's small enough that I dont think it would be comfortable.

Any recommendations for reliable online retailers? I feel like a lot of the local pool stores are way overpriced. The only dealer I am comfortable with is an hour away (I live in the sticks) and while they carry good brands, their prices are significanly higher than online places I have seen.

Is foam coving worth the money? How about a pad for the bottom?

Is it worth it to hard-plumb the pump? I have a sunheater that is hard plumbed and I really like it so I am considering either moving the pump and filter away from the pool, or moving it under the mini-deck I will build if I buy a new pool.

Thanks in advance.
    80,000 gal community pool
    Painted concrete
    Dual Triton 125 gpm sand filters

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Time for a new AGP

Welcome to TFP

I'm indifferent on the top rail. I have a 9" and never use it, although we do have a deck attached. Having a sand bottom/cove of my own...when it's time to replace the liner, I will certainly opt for the foam cove and bottom pad. Our pool is going on year 3 and the sand bottom is holding up well, but it's not perfect. Lastly, I did hard plumb and will never go back to soft plumbing, with hoses breaking, leaking, etc.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Time for a new AGP

We have an 8" top rail and though the GS walks on it all the time (regardless how many times we tell him not to) it's not something I would specify.
    we have a gorilla pad floor and next time I will have a foam pad. We have the foam cove and my sis has sand and the foam is the way to go.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit