Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Astral Multiport Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Astral Multiport Valve

The other day I was messing around and putting some DE into my filter. As usual when I finished I opened up the riser on the discharge side of the filter to allow some water to flow back into the filter to top it up. The water flowed back through the diffuser. I closed up the filter and thought not much more about it.
    But last night in bed I realised that something here is fundamentally wrong. When I opened the riser on the discharge side of the filter should the water not have filled from the bottom of the filter. That got me thinking that perhaps I have a problem with the mulitport valve allowing water to bypass. Anyway I opened it up today and everything looked ok but there is very little pressure from the rotor onto the spider gasket. How can this seal then? I took a few photos and the other thing is - how do you get the spider gasket out? It seems to be well and trully stuck down there???
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IG Concrete, tiles and plaster. Pool size: 100M3 (26,417 US Gallons) Sand/Gravel Filter Astor 99 cross section 0.44M2 (4.74 sq. ft.) holds 290 kg (639 lbs) sand/gravel also sometimes with some DE inside. Pacific Sel SWG, Pacific PH Automatic Doser.
    Pump size 1.6HP 24M3/hour (6340 US gal/hour)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Astral Multiport Valve

You can see the spring on the rotor shaft in one of your photos. It doesn't need to provide a great deal of pressure, but it does need to provide some pressure. If there are problems you can replace the spring, though nothing you have described really sounds like there is a problem with that spring.

The usual way to refill the filter is to open the air bleed valve on top while the pump is running.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The spring seats the disc back in place, the seal is improved by the hydraulic pressure inside valve itself.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The spring seats the disc back in place, the seal is improved by the hydraulic pressure inside valve itself.

Thanks for the info - It just seemed strange to me that the water came out the diffuser and not the lower elements... (first post)

I'll look into replacing the spring...

Also water started to leak out of the valve cover (you can see a little discolouring on the floor in one of the photos) when I put it all back together today and I have had to use an unreasonable amount of force on the bolts to get something like a seal. The O ring looked OK but I think I should replace it to be sure.

Again does anyone know if the spider gasket can be removed and replaced? I just want absolutely sure that everything is 100%.

Yours in paranoia.

Jonathan
    IG Concrete, tiles and plaster. Pool size: 100M3 (26,417 US Gallons) Sand/Gravel Filter Astor 99 cross section 0.44M2 (4.74 sq. ft.) holds 290 kg (639 lbs) sand/gravel also sometimes with some DE inside. Pacific Sel SWG, Pacific PH Automatic Doser.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes the spider gasket can be replaced. Since you're going to have it open you might as well replace it too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes the spider gasket can be replaced. Since you're going to have it open you might as well replace it too.
    Thanks for the info - does it just pull straight out because it seems that it is really well stuck down..

The other thing that I can't figure is that small bits of leaf that gets picket up in the skimmer and are small enough to get through the pump strainer still find there way back to the pool - this does not make sense to me...

7. Back To Top    #7

The spider is glued down and has to be scraped up.

If the valve is bypassing particles then replacing the spring and seals should help with that. It shouldn't bypass anything.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

The spider is glued down and has to be scraped up.

If the valve is bypassing particles then replacing the spring and seals should help with that. It shouldn't bypass anything.
    Thanks for that - I can't see how it could get pass at any other place - certainly not through 600 lbs of sand, gravel and also DP...

9. Back To Top    #9

The sand can sometimes become channeled over time. Try opening up the filter and resettling the sand bed. Se this post for directions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School