URGENT: Bulges all around side walls of liner...Problem?

JakeH

Apr 19, 2011
Hi,

I'm about to sign a lease on a house (tomorrow April 19...) with an in-ground pool (inside an enclosure). I know the water table is relatively high in this area because it is situated next to a lake and the house gets all of its water from a well (and the well is even used to fill up the pool...)

The pool has not been in use and tended for more than 6 months (at least...It looks like it could be longer) and there are dead mice and leaves in it. I am told they will clean this out...Should I be worried about how well they clean the water? Does it need to be emptied, cleaned, then re-filled?

Also, the bigger issue is that the sides are bulging inward all around the sides of the pool almost all the way down the sides... The bottom appears to be untouched and still smooth (the pool is fairly deep and I cannot see the bottom clearly at the deepest points). The contracting company told me that the pool tends to bulge inward in the spring months because the ground seeps water (I live in Nashville, TN), but in the later summer months the water receedes and the bulging goes away.

What do you make of this? Is the bulging a major issue or something that can be overlooked? Since I am only renting the property, I need to know how I should handle the situation... It would be nice to have a usable pool.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give! Any advice before tonight (Tues. April 19) would be great because I am supposed to sign this lease and return it on Wed.

-Jake

[email protected]

The pool water can be cleaned up with lots of chlorine. Is the pool currently full or is it partially drained? I would ask for a clause in the lease that would not hold you liable for damage to the pool due to liner failure related to poor drainage around the pool, and if they do not want the pool used while the liner is bulging it needs to be stated in the lease. The property owner should install a drainage system to divert ground water away from the pool, especially since this is a chronic problem.

As Zea said, the water can be sanitized. Since you're only renting the house I would add a sentence to the agreement that due to known existing issues with the pool you aren't responsible for any structural damage to it.

Raising the water level in the pool will smooth the bulges back against the walls. There is a small risk that the liner might wrinkle as the pool refills. If any wrinkles do form, they can usually be straightened out if you deal with them right away. The only serious danger is if the floor of the liner has shifted, which can be very difficult to get back into place and will occasionally cause the liner to tear. From your description that sounds very unlikely.

Thanks for your replies!

The water was already at a normal level (the pool is full) right now, so I do not think adding more water will help the bulging go away.

The owner/rental agency seems to think that it's fine to swim in the pool with the bulges and are downplaying the significance of the possible structural damage that could result because of it.

I will definitely add a clause in the lease that removes any liability for damages to the pool.

I do feel better now knowing that this is a natural occurrence after reading other topics on your forum. This is really a great site :)

Thanks!

Jake

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.