Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP!!! We need a new pump! NOW!!

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP!!! We need a new pump! NOW!!

My husband took our motor off to replace the bearings that were screeching to high heaven but the shaft was rusted and it broke!!! Is that part not suppose to be made of something that doesn't rust???

Now my beautiful sparkling clear pool is sitting with no pump and we are going to have 80 degree weather for several days! Can anyone recommend a good replacement pump? We don't need the strainer basket, but if it has to come with a new pump, I guess we will get that too.

Thank you, Nancy.
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP!!! We need a new pump! NOW!!

Why not just replace the motor?
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

You can always go with the same pump, or you can try the Pentair Dynamo. I have a 1 hp 2 speed that I have been happy with. If you get another Hayward of the same model odds are you won't have to re-do any of the plumbing, and you can keep the old wet end for replacement parts.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That must have been really rusted. Something like that would only happen if water was getting inside the pump very frequently, probably a bad shaft seal. That would have also caused the bearings to fail.

If you have a cover pump or other small pump you can get some circulation going and that will help you keep things at least somewhat under control.

Getting either a motor or a pump isn't that difficult. Most pool stores will have something in stock, though not necessarily something ideal, and rush shipping can get something there by Wendsday.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason, that pump was only 4-5 years old. I have it listed as a Hayward pump, but it was actually a Hi Flo Waterway. I will see what I can find... quickly!
    I AM LOVING THE SALT WATER AND THE BBB METHOD! 15 yr old 15,300 gal ABG, with 5 yr old liner, 5 yr old AquaTrol SWG, S220T Hayward Sand Filter, 1 1/2 HP 2 speed Hayward Pump, TF100 Test Kit, 11 yr old grandson, 6 yr old grand-quads AND 4 year old triplet grandsons! ~ I AM HAVING FUN NOW!

6. Back To Top    #6

My husband said that pump was not that old, so I dug around and found out that it is less than 3 years old!!! We had a Hayward for almost 10 years and replaced it with the Waterway. I just never updated my profile to reflect that. My mistake. I don't think I want another WaterWay pump.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your quickest fix is going to be your local pool store, but that may not be your most economical one. I'd at least check with them. Another possibility would be a local electric motor shop. It's pretty common for them to have 48 & 56 frame motors in stock and they could probably replace it while you wait. Even your local pool store might have a repair department.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep should be no sweat to replace the motor, but find out what caused the failure and be sure to fix that!
    In the meantime, throw a few bottles of bleach in the pool and sweep it a couple times a day to keep it under control.
    Best of luck!
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side