Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Impeller Plugging all the time

1. Back To Top    #1

Impeller Plugging all the time

Hi all,

I installed a new Hayward Tristar 4 or 5 months ago - in ground pool. The problem is that debris gets past the suction strainer somehow and clogs up the impeller. It clogs with green leaves, like from ligustrum or crepe myrtle, that don't seem like they should be able to get through the strainer. The last time it plugged with grass and small twigs. Of course, it is easy to clean (relatively speaking), but still a pain.

I never had this problem with my old Pentair Challenger.

Is the design of the impeller that much more sensitive to debris? Has anyone else had the problem and solved the problem?

I would appreciate any insight.

mmk
    24 ft all aluminum Esther Williams AGP, 1hp hayward powerflow 2 speed,hayward permaflex 40 DE filter, Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, polaris 165, hayward goldline aquatrol SWCG, main drain system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Impeller Plugging all the time

Does this occur when you are vacuuming or when you only have the pump on? Are the strainer baskets in place for the skimmer and the pump? What horse power is your current pump?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum Debris that large should never get to the impeller. Are the baskets in the skimmers? Is the pump strainer basket installed?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Was the Challenger a larger HP pump?

As a general rule, larger HP pumps tend to have wider impeller vanes which allow more debris through.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you making sure that the basket is fully seated? If the hole does not line up with the intake, then there could be debris that gets by.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Was the Challenger a larger HP pump?

As a general rule, larger HP pumps tend to have wider impeller vanes which allow more debris through.
    This is one of the nice things about the intelliflo pumps nice wide vanes. We have a lot of fir needles here, which is a bear for smaller pumps.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Skimmer socks are good at catching leaves and smaller debris, but you do have to check them regularly.
    27K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 24" sand filter, Goldline Aqua Plus SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

I have noticed a time or two that once the skimmer basket gets full a leaf or two will work their way around the side of the basket. I have never had any leaves bypass the pump basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I have never had any leaves bypass the pump basket.
    Nor have I.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Larger leaves tend to get caught by the basket but if they are water logged, then they can break up and get forced through the basket. Also, seeds, twigs, worms, small flowers, etc seem to get by the basket. Usually it is the long a skinning stuff that makes it through the basket but can easily get caught in the impeller such as pine needles as Racket suggested.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

You sure there's no cracks in the baskets?

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks for all your replys. The pump suction basket is correctly installed and seated. The skimmer baskets as well. No cracks in any of them.

Yes, the new pump is a high efficiency pump with less horsepower - I don't have the details right now.

I do believe that once the skimmer basket gets full, leaves or twigs get past the skimmer baskets and make their way to the pump, as well as stuff from the drain at the bottom of the pool. It could be that water logged leaves and small twigs get past the pump strainer. When I pull out the pump strainer, there are small twigs and plant matter (shredded leaves, grass, etc.) poking through the pump strainer holes, which is what I find in the impeller.

I suspect it is as suggested, that the new high efficiency pump is just more prone to trapping debris in the impeller. I think socks for the skimmer strainers might help, but will probably not be sufficient. Has anyone used sock in the pump strainer? Are there pump strainers with a finer hole size?

Thanks,

MMKeaton
    24 ft all aluminum Esther Williams AGP, 1hp hayward powerflow 2 speed,hayward permaflex 40 DE filter, Rheem raypack 206 natural gas heater, polaris 165, hayward goldline aquatrol SWCG, main drain system.

13. Back To Top    #13

If particles small enough to go through the strainer basket are plugging the impeller, then there's a serious design flaw there. I'd try using a knee high stocking in the strainer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit