How much concrete decking should we get around our pool?

Our trilogy 12x24 fiberglass pool arrives next week. We are struggling to decide on deck size. Our initial plan is to have 12'/5'/10'/5'. The five foot sides will be along the 12' side of pool on left and then 24' length of pool. The five foot will be along the other length and 10 feet along the right side.

This should allow room for loungers and room to walk easily around the pool. I don't want to go overboard on concrete costs but I also don't want to regret shorting ourselves. Advice and opinions welcome.

We installed our pool in January and poured concrete around Feb 1st, so we recently went through those decisions. We have 4' on the narrowest part and find that works fine for how we use the pool. It radiuses out to 8' on the diving board end, about 12' of concrete from our wooden deck to the pool, and about 18' radiused down to the 4' straight off of the shallow end. Really, what I think you may be trying to determine is how narrow is too small for the area you expect to use least, or the part that connects to the rest of your back yard. We considered 3' on the "yard" side, but decided on using 4' as our minimum. We are very happy with that choice. your 5' plan should be fine.

Initially I would say get as much as you think you need, then double it.

We have a 16' x 36' fiberglass pool. Our deck is along these lines: 4' wide along one of the 36' side, 10' along one of the 16' side about 20' along the other 36' side and 6' along the remaining 16' side. We wish we had a little more in some places.

I am almost ready for our concrete deck to be poured. We decided on 4' on the 28' yard side and one of the 14' ends. On the step end (14') we are having 8' poured then an added patio area beside the other 28' side.
Just got to finish connecting the wire mesh and have it inspected.

Reactions: mickmurph
I have a large pool so my decking is 7', 11', 11', and 18' on the four sides.

We use the pool for some pretty large parties so we have never regretted the space by even one foot.

I would suggest as large as possible as long as it's aesthetically pleasing.

They are starting on our inground vinyl 18x36 rectangle pool in two weeks. The plan right now for concrete deck is 10' on each end, 12' down entire side of pool closest to the house and 8' down the other side. Hopefully this will look ok. Feel free to make suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have 4' on the thinnest side which abuts the adjacent grassy area. Comfortable to walk and sit on the edge, but not much else. It is really just there to provide a transition to grass. We originally planned about 700 sq feet, but once they were there laying it out and we could see what we would end up with, we ended up with 1250 sq feet.

We only poured on three sides of our lagoon shaped pool. The amount that was to be on the 4th side, we simply added that footage to the other side so that we would have a bigger area for entertaining. It was one of our best decisions. The non-concrete side has a more or less rock garden with gravel, boulders, and outdoor speakers on it that run along the border (3ft width). Both ends have are rounded back to the pools so that there are no straight lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.