Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much concrete decking should we get around our pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much concrete decking should we get around our pool?

Our trilogy 12x24 fiberglass pool arrives next week. We are struggling to decide on deck size. Our initial plan is to have 12'/5'/10'/5'. The five foot sides will be along the 12' side of pool on left and then 24' length of pool. The five foot will be along the other length and 10 feet along the right side.

This should allow room for loungers and room to walk easily around the pool. I don't want to go overboard on concrete costs but I also don't want to regret shorting ourselves. Advice and opinions welcome.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much concrete decking should we get around our pool?

We have 3' in some places and I find that too narrow for any real comfort but usable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We installed our pool in January and poured concrete around Feb 1st, so we recently went through those decisions. We have 4' on the narrowest part and find that works fine for how we use the pool. It radiuses out to 8' on the diving board end, about 12' of concrete from our wooden deck to the pool, and about 18' radiused down to the 4' straight off of the shallow end. Really, what I think you may be trying to determine is how narrow is too small for the area you expect to use least, or the part that connects to the rest of your back yard. We considered 3' on the "yard" side, but decided on using 4' as our minimum. We are very happy with that choice. your 5' plan should be fine.
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.

4. Back To Top    #4

Initially I would say get as much as you think you need, then double it.

We have a 16' x 36' fiberglass pool. Our deck is along these lines: 4' wide along one of the 36' side, 10' along one of the 16' side about 20' along the other 36' side and 6' along the remaining 16' side. We wish we had a little more in some places.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

I am almost ready for our concrete deck to be poured. We decided on 4' on the 28' yard side and one of the 14' ends. On the step end (14') we are having 8' poured then an added patio area beside the other 28' side.
    Just got to finish connecting the wire mesh and have it inspected.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03
    Initially I would say get as much as you think you need, then double it.
    This! For sure.
    [center:2iylsr0w]--> 23,250 Gallon IG Salt - Plaster - Waterway 60 Sq.Ft. DE filter -2hp Waterway Champ 120 (140gpm) - Aqua Logic - T-Cell 15 SWG - Polaris pressure pool cleaner<--[/center:2iylsr0w]

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I have a large pool so my decking is 7', 11', 11', and 18' on the four sides.

We use the pool for some pretty large parties so we have never regretted the space by even one foot.

I would suggest as large as possible as long as it's aesthetically pleasing.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

They are starting on our inground vinyl 18x36 rectangle pool in two weeks. The plan right now for concrete deck is 10' on each end, 12' down entire side of pool closest to the house and 8' down the other side. Hopefully this will look ok. Feel free to make suggestions.
    Jonell Day Kenagy

Pacific Northwest
    indoor pool approx. 20K gallons, SPA at one end (included in water filtration/heater system) Hallmark 1980 pool:concrete bottom with ledge the vinyl (fiberglass?) Hallmark panels to form pool walls. Constant problem with 'blisters' on these vinyl walls!) Ready to repaint.
    Chlorine chemistry. Teledyne Laars 175 heater, Hallmark pump

9. Back To Top    #9

I say PAVERS. Then you can always adjust easily...
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I say, "the more the better."
    Too much grass near the pool just makes for too much grass in the pool.

Take a look at this this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/your-...ce-t27529.html to see different examples of concrete decking widths.
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    I say PAVERS. Then you can always adjust easily...

That is true, but around here Pavers cost way more than concrete. I can always add Pavers to it for accents.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

We have 4' on the thinnest side which abuts the adjacent grassy area. Comfortable to walk and sit on the edge, but not much else. It is really just there to provide a transition to grass. We originally planned about 700 sq feet, but once they were there laying it out and we could see what we would end up with, we ended up with 1250 sq feet.
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house
    View our Pool Build - View our Pool House Build

13. Back To Top    #13

We only poured on three sides of our lagoon shaped pool. The amount that was to be on the 4th side, we simply added that footage to the other side so that we would have a bigger area for entertaining. It was one of our best decisions. The non-concrete side has a more or less rock garden with gravel, boulders, and outdoor speakers on it that run along the border (3ft width). Both ends have are rounded back to the pools so that there are no straight lines.
    New Pool: Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Quad 100 DE filter, Pentair EasyTouch control system, Pentair IC 40 SWG, Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU gas heater, Pentair ScreenLogic wireless interface, Spa, Polaris QT Blower, Polaris 9450 pool cleaner, Gunite w/ Pebble Tec, 10K Gallons
    Old Pool: david-and-kristy-s-pool-build-t8676.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Lots of opinions on size for sure. As for material, it is easy to fix a cracked paver. The next time I pour concrete, there will be rebar in it. We took extra care when we poured and inspite of that we still have some cracks. The old adage is true: If you don't want cracks in your concrete, don't pour it.
    Why is it most people that work in a pool store know nothing about pool chemistry?
    37,000 gal lined inground, Aquarite SWCG, ORP & pH cont, 30 gal acid tank, and Digital Timer w/ Freeze probe. All integrated with interposing relays to keep pump from shutting down if feeds are running.