Can an O-Ring really cause trouble?

SusanB

Apr 15, 2011
Forgive my ignorance, but can an o-ring make my pump suck air and lose pressure? I have been trying to figure out why my pump is working so poorly. The o-rings look a little dry rotted, but they are still there. It seems impossible to think that such a tiny crack in an o-ring could cause such a problem.

Yes, a bad o-ring could cause that problem. It only takes a very small crack for air to get in and cause the pump to either lose pressure, since air doesn't pump nearly as well as water does, or lose prime completely.

If that is the case, then I guess I will try to get some new o-rings before I call intex and tell them that I need a new pump. Does anyone know if I have to special order the o-rings or can they be bought at a local hardware store?

Thanks for your help. I really hope I can find some at a hardware store because Intex wants $9.99 for two piddly little o-rings. I will keep my fingers crossed that I can get them locally without having to spend an arm and a leg.

Ohm_Boy said:
I read this post title and thought of the Challenger explosion. It's impressive what an O-ring can do.

You are absolutely right. I hadn't even thought about how such a simple piece can make such a significant impact on a piece of machinery.

If anyone is interested, Lowes carries all sorts of o-rings. I did find some that worked in the faucet department. Unfortunately, the pump is still acting squirrelly, so I may have to see if I can get it replaced under warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.