Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can an O-Ring really cause trouble?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can an O-Ring really cause trouble?

Forgive my ignorance, but can an o-ring make my pump suck air and lose pressure? I have been trying to figure out why my pump is working so poorly. The o-rings look a little dry rotted, but they are still there. It seems impossible to think that such a tiny crack in an o-ring could cause such a problem.
    Princeton, WV
    Intex Ultra Frame - 12 x 24 AGP
    Intex SWG and Intex Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can an O-Ring really cause trouble?

Yes, a bad o-ring could cause that problem. It only takes a very small crack for air to get in and cause the pump to either lose pressure, since air doesn't pump nearly as well as water does, or lose prime completely.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If that is the case, then I guess I will try to get some new o-rings before I call intex and tell them that I need a new pump. Does anyone know if I have to special order the o-rings or can they be bought at a local hardware store?
    Princeton, WV

4. Back To Top    #4

I would take an old one with me and try a hardware store or pool store first. Also pick up a tube of silicon pool lube to help get a good seal with the o-rings.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!

Jason is 'spot on' with his advice

Zea's advice is excellent too (as long as the o-ring hasn't warped, which it hasn't in your case)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your help. I really hope I can find some at a hardware store because Intex wants $9.99 for two piddly little o-rings. I will keep my fingers crossed that I can get them locally without having to spend an arm and a leg.
    Princeton, WV

7. Back To Top    #7

I read this post title and thought of the Challenger explosion. It's impressive what an O-ring can do.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm_Boy
    I read this post title and thought of the Challenger explosion. It's impressive what an O-ring can do.
    You are absolutely right. I hadn't even thought about how such a simple piece can make such a significant impact on a piece of machinery.

If anyone is interested, Lowes carries all sorts of o-rings. I did find some that worked in the faucet department. Unfortunately, the pump is still acting squirrelly, so I may have to see if I can get it replaced under warranty.
    Princeton, WV