Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gas Line costs for a Nat Gas Heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Gas Line costs for a Nat Gas Heater

Looking for ball park estimates for running a gas line (trenched 60-70 feet from teh house or from the meter itself respectively)
    to the 130K BTU Nat Gas Pool Heater

Since the installer would have a trencher on site I would also like him to run another separate trench (left open) so I can do the electrical run to the filter/heater pad) also around 60-70 foot long

What kind of costs do you think I'm looking at for that?

Thanks
    Dan
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gas Line costs for a Nat Gas Heater

It varies a lot. I would guess $1,000+, though it might be higher or lower.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Running 60 ft of 1.5 inch yellow flex pipe through my attic then down the wall to pool heater cost me $700. That was after 4 estimates. Highest bid was $900.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Just like Jason said it's going to be $1000+...

5. Back To Top    #5

Where I am at you can use the same trench for electrical and gas. I rented a trencher from Home Cheapo and trenched it myself. You can buy the material (yellow pipe, risers) from Ewing or another plumbing supply center and then hire the plumber with the right fuse heating equipment and pressure testing capability.

Ask the pool plumber if he knows someone competent with the right equipment. For me I ran 300ft . The total cost for me was $200 to the plumber and $800 in material. I would imagine you should be able to pay $200 for the material and about $200 for the plumber. I would not pay more than $600 based on my experience but that is a personal and objective thing.
    OB Pool - 45K Gal. 64'x25' free-form IG - 35'x18" raised bond beam - Swim up bar w/ 5 stools - 14'x8 ' sunken patio/grill area w/ icemaker, fridge, SS cabinets, sink, granite counters, dual head grill - 14' spa w/12 venturi jets - 2 fire bowls - 1 firepit - Indeck drink cooler - 3 fiberlit waterfalls - 14' sun shelf with 2 fiberlit bubblers - 25 x fiberlit star floor fixtures - 5 Pentair Intelliflow 3HP pumps - Tiger Shark QC Cleaner - 4 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Intellichlor IC40 alt cells - Intellitouch i9 w/ i10x expansion - Pentair IS10 spa side remote - MobileTouch2 - 4 Valve Actuators - Silencer Blower - Pentair 520 Cartridge Filter - 2 fiberlit laminars - 4 Fiberstar Illuminators - Perimeter fiberlit bar counter and spa - 2 Bermuda Skimmers - 8 Returns - Hydrazzo custom color plaster - Natural quartz ledging - Glass Mosaic Tile - 2000 sq ft paver deck w/ double banded poured coping - Interfab G-Force Pool slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

My lead on acontractor is through a friend of my wife who owns a fireplace store... so he gave is the name of a guy who does all his installations... that said He shoul dbe out this week to quote... but I thought I would get a ballpark idea. My friend is an electrician and can handle that portion fo rme for free (I do his PC work!!) I figured if the gas guy has the trencher I would have him 2 both runs and I won't need to fuss with a trnecher myself
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Look for places that well the supplies. I had the same issue, I needed a gas line ran 40 ft, bid was around $1000. That is crazy, I bought a roll of 1" plastic gas line and the two adapter's to iron pipe for around $50, and did the digging myself. Very simple.
    17,000 gallon IG Humpback Kidney
    333k Sta-Rite Max-e-therm Heater
    Sta-Rite Modular Filter
    Intellichlor IC-40
    Awesome Tiki Bar!!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

It just depends on where your located and the labor rates, I had a gas line installed at my house a few years ago for $250 by local plumber, total run length was only about 30 feet, but it did have several 90 degree turns, this was with iron pipe to match the rest of the gas pipe in the house.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~