Spa won't stay running, ideas?

denisbaldwin

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Hey guys,

My hot tub/spa has seen better days and I'm now having consistent issues with keeping it running/pumping.

Filled the spa up a few weeks ago, cleaned it really good, put in chemicals. Kicked it on (110V, running to a 20Amp outlet with nothing else on it) and it ran for about 30 seconds. Then shut itself down. Break didn't trip. No GFCI on the outlet. The pump didn't feel hot like the impeller was jammed full of stuff. Just stopped. Went to go turn it back on and it wouldn't come back on.

Tried it the next day, fired back up for about 30 seconds. Then off again. Checked the electrical connections, everything looks solid. Checked the controls to see that it's set to run constant, no timer to shut it down.

At this point, we're not talking about the heater not working (though the last time I used it, I don't think the heater worked at that time), just the pump. Any ideas on how I can check if the motor has gone bad? or is there's another issue?

Denis

That sounds like the overheat cutout triggering on the pump, presumably even though the pump isn't too hot. To test that you would need to open up the motor to get to the overheat switch and check it while the system is shutdown.

Try unplug pump from the board and kick the power on to the tub and see if it stays on. If it does you know you got a problem in the pump causing it to shut down

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.