Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cannot close filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Cannot close filter

Little back story, bought a house that came with a pool. Pool was unused for 2 years have a swamp. TF-100 kit on the way, in the mean time I bought a new cart for my Hayward SwimPro Voyager. Opened the filter, installed cart, put it back together, turned the pump on, gage read 0 psi. Took it apart, bought a new gage, installed, reassembled, gage worked. PSI rose fast due to swamp/gunk etc, took opened filter again, cleaned cart and CANNOT get the plastic ring that connects the two half of the filter to screw on far enough to click into place. It gets about 6 inches from the tabs where it should click in and will NOT move any further. I have wrestled with it for over an hour and have twisted with every thing I have but will not budge. I even tried a hammer (no a good I idea probably). I can back it off no problem so it is not seized but cannot get it near the locking tabs. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cannot close filter

Take the cover off and double check that the sealing gasket is in the proper position and no debris has gotten into the gasket or lip where the cover meets the base on either the cover or base. Then try again.

I recommend against the hammer, although light taps are alright. A rubber mallet is much better if it comes to that. If you do use a hammer, you only want to vibrate it a little, not actually hammer it into position.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok will do, when I could get it to close it took eveything thing I have to get it screwed on far enought to click in to position, is this normal?

4. Back To Top    #4

As long as everything is clean and nothing is binding (o rings etc) try silicone spray.

I had this happen and solved it by spraying silicone spray on both halves. Worked great after that.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Silicone spray worked perfectly, I can spin it into locked position with one finger. You rock!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy
    Silicone spray worked perfectly, I can spin it into locked position with one finger. You rock!
    I was surprised it worked so well and continues to do so many months after. Mine was about 3 inches away from the locking tab and like yours, would NOT budge.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner