Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae - Bubbles?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae - Bubbles?

I am on day 2 of shocking my pool to rid it of Mustard Algae. Prior to that my readings were as follows:

FC: 0
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.4
    TA: 90
    CH: 140
    CYA: 40

I am currently maintaining shock level at 24. I woke up this morning to find bubbles forming where the water spills over from the spa. What does that mean and how do I fix that?
    ~20,000 gallon IG Plaster Pool.
    Hayward Northstar 2HP pump.
    Hayward Swim clear C4025 Cartridge Filter.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Mustard Algae - Bubbles?

What have you added to the pool lately?
    Do the bubbles look like foam or just bubbles?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Organic oils from the breakdown of dead algae can sometimes cause mild foaming. This will go away as the chlorine continues to break down the oils. Various brands of algaecide will also cause foaming that goes away after about a week.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing I've added was acid to bring the PH down since it was 8.4+ when I started. Then I used powdered shock and followed up with bleach to keep the FC levels up.

It looks like bubbles. Like you get when with blow bubbles.
    ~20,000 gallon IG Plaster Pool.
    Hayward Northstar 2HP pump.
    Hayward Swim clear C4025 Cartridge Filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Double check your Clorox, the "splash-less" bleach has a thickener (Cetyl betaine) that is also used elsewhere as a foaming agent. I had a somewhat similar experience in my spa and blamed the thickener.

Unfortunately I do not know how to get rid of it, I had only opened my spa when I discovered it so I just dumped the water and stopped using my wife's laundry bleach.
    20k gallon free form plaster pool with a spill over spa, sand filter, Master Pools in floor cleaner, Jandy PDA and Jandy Lite2 natural gas heater.