Normally open or normally closed?

Normally open and normally closed tells you what state the switch is in when there isn't power. That shouldn't matter, since if there isn't power the pump is off regardless. The unit will go back to it's previous state as soon as power is restored. I would get normally open, as that is slightly safer, but again it shouldn't make any difference.

You need the normally open contacts.
Normally open means that in a de-energized state (no signal from the control system) the contacts are open and not passing power.
Which relay are you planning on getting?

Most insteon relay devices are only rated for resistive loads. Motors are inductive loads. What I recommend is an appliance module with the ELK relay to power the pump. Here's a link to the relay. It's rated for motor loads and will be better suited for your application. If you decide not to use this one you should use a relay with a snubber to power the motor.

Bama Rambler said:
That's the relay I figured on. While it's not rated for inductive loads it'll probably last a long time running your pump.

Hmmmm.... I just assumed that gray enclosure meant it was the outdoor type but it says in the spec it is indoor rated. Looks like the unit is about 8X8 square. Any suggestions on a box to put it in? I assume it won't fit easily in a 2 gang box. I'd also like a clear door on the front of the unit and preferably the box would be plastic since it is an RF device as well as powerline. A metal box might interfere with the RF, but if there's no other option it'll probably be fine on the powerline.

I just automated my pump with a Z-wave hook up.
Basically I'm using a Z-wave outlet in a external enclosure. That switch a 24v power adapter that controls a relay which turns the pump on r off. It's wired in before the mechanical timer and I just leave the on/off thingys on the timer off. This way if I'm at the pump I can manually turn it off to back wash or whatever I need to do. Been working great for a month now. I did something similar with the switch for the spa Jet blower. This way if I'm in the spa I can turn the blower on or off with my Droid or G tab or whatever is next to me. It's fun!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.