Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borates

1. Back To Top    #1

SW Georgia

Just took the plunge! 26 boxes of 20-Mule and 8 gallons of Muratic Acid. TIP: I was going to do this last year but my TA was not in the acceptable range. I emptied seven boxes into a container to make storage easier. I dumped this into the pool and ended up with a one foot square block of 20-Mule on the floor of my deep end. This would not normally be a problem except my pole pole was broken. I put the rest into the skimmer. Between what was left of my pool pole and the poolcleaner I managed to get the block broken up. The pool has been running for 16 hours so I have 32 left. I tested this morning just for kicks and it looks like I nailed the 50 ppm for Borates. My PH was high (7.8/8.2) but will wait the full 48 hours to adjust.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Borates

Not a big deal, but the PH tends to drift up as the last of the borax dissolves, so I would go ahead and lower PH just a little, say by 0.2.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School