Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep FC levels up

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't keep FC levels up

Hi All,

New pool owner here. I have been trying to get my pool balanced for about a month now. The issue is that I can't keep FC in the pool. So, I shock, it falls to .5 - 0 in about 3 - 4 days and I shock again. For a while I was using liquid bleach to keep it in there, but really had rather use the tablet feeder (I know, I know, I am just lazy). I have the feeder pegged to 5 and am turning the pool close to 2X per day. We have had a lot of pollen lately, so it just might be the high load.

Here are my latest tests (after shocking the pool two days prior)

FC - 4
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 110
    CH - 200
    CYA - 35
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can't keep FC levels up

So, I shock, it falls to .5 - 0 in about 3 - 4 days and I shock again.
    good morning! You are not shocking the pool correctly. Pool School has an article that will walk you through the process......it is a process, not a one-time event.

ONLY two things consume chlorine......sunlight (your CYA is a little low, I suggest 50ppm) and organics (algae) in your pool. I'm betting you have some algae you are not completely killing off. Shocking properly will do so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your target shock level? How long does it take for the FC to drop? Have you passed the overnight test?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

See my post in your other topic. I posted there before I saw this one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, time to do more reading...
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, went by HD and got 12 182 oz bottles of chlorox. Just dumped in 596 oz to bring it up to the recommended 14 ppm. I will wait a bit to test and monitor throughout the afternoon. I will do the overnight test tonight as well. I suspect that with all the pollen, there is a high load on the pool and this should take care of it. The oak drop is over here so hopefully this will get me to square one.

7. Back To Top    #7

Don't be surprised if it doesn't. You may need to hold it at shock for a while. In fact you should go test it now to see what the FC level still is.

When you first start shocking you should test FC as often as once an hour. The more consistantly you maintain shock level the faster it goes. If you test it now and it's stil at shock level, that's a good thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Good work!!

I would suggest delaying the OFCLT test until probably tomorrow evening. Chances are it will take a little while to kill everything in the pool and it would probably be a little premature to assume everything has been killed by this evening.

However, I like your optimism!!
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

OK. Brushed to mix it good, tested and it is at 15. I will test again in an hour or so.

10. Back To Top    #10

May sound like a stupid question, but I am going to ask anyway. My kids are due home in about 1.5 hours. It is, believe it or not, 90 degrees out and they are going to want to swim. This is a no-no right?

11. Back To Top    #11

Technically you can swim up to shock level for your CYA, but if you have something growing in there it's probably not a good idea.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Checked at 3:15 and it was down to 11. Added another gal and a half.

13. Back To Top    #13

OK, After checking and adjusting every hour, the rate of consumption has been reduced. We had a bright sunny day today with highs in the mid 90s. I assume that some of the consumption was due to sunlight. I had to run an errand at 5:00 so left it till 8:00. Test showed that it droped ~ 1 ppm. I topped it off to 14 and will see what I have in the morning.

Man, how does one do this if they have to work? I happened to be at home this afternoon for a scheduled carpet cleaning.

14. Back To Top    #14

Yes, dealing with an out-of-balance pool can be quite time consuming and aggravating. However, you are now armed with the correct test kit and knowledge to prevent further problems.

By testing and understanding, you will be able to detect impending problems and take corrective action immediately.

As long as you follow good procedures, you should have a Trouble Free Pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

If you have to go to work just bump the FC a few ppm above shock just before you leave and test again as soon as you can. You may lose some ground but you'll gain it back pretty quickly.

Of course if you don't lose any FC overnight and the CC is less than .5 ppm you're done shocking and you can just let it drift down during the day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

About to check it for the night. Never had any CC present. Just can't get the tabs to keep up the FC levels. Assume it is the sun and pollen. Probably need to get the CYA up a bit more for my area. We get lots of intense sun. Thought I would let the tabs do the work, but might have to add more stabilizer to get it up.

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Just can't get the tabs to keep up the FC levels.
    Back to Pool School! You should be shocking with liquid chlorine.....not tabs.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

>> how does one do this if they have to work?

one way is by using a SWCG

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Back to Pool School! You should be shocking with liquid chlorine.....not tabs.
    Read above.

20. Back To Top    #20

OK, Overnight the level dropped from 13 to 11. Going to bring it up a little over shock. We are expecting another sunny hot day, so I expect to loose FC to the sun today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast