Uut oooh! pressure gage

Jul 23, 2010
Mickleton, NJ
I have a Pentair Sandollar sand filter. We paid the pool store to close the pool since it was our first close. I wasn't home when they came and closed it up last fall. They left the pump and currogated hoses infront of the pool and we stored them in the basement for the winter. About a month ago I was out pumping water off the pool and noticed a small hole that had clear dried glue around it, too small of a hole to be where a hose would go. I was wondering what it was, did something fall off? I checked the ground which is covered in 2-4" river rock, found nothing and moved on. I was reading something else on here tonight about a pressure gage reading and I realized that could be what this hole may have been for, I went out and checked the filter and sure enough, no gage. I guessing it fell off? Or could the pool store removed it? If they did it isn't with the pump and I know it wasn't left with the pump and hoses because I would have put it with the other small things in a ziplock bag. I'm guessing it must have fallen off, we had a very hard winter.

So can I buy a new one? If so is it easy to install? I'm guessing you don't just push it back in where it came unglued from? I can take pics in the am, it is dark out now.

They aren't glued in, they are threaded. You are probably seeing a little pipe dope or the remnants of teflon tape where it was removed. Very easy and cheap to replace, but it's probable that they would have removed it when they closed the pool. They don't last if left outside over the winter

Like everyone else has said they are cheap, in more ways than one. These tend to be made in China low quality gauges that only last a couple of years, some are back mount connection some are side mount, usually 1/4 inch NPT stubs. If you want to you can replace with a better quality gauges, you can often find these on ebay as blemished or old stock for a fraction of original cost. A good high quality corrosion resistant pressure gauge would probably retail for as much as these sand filters cost to make, so it is understandable they that they include the junk ones.

Ike

You guys are awesome. :party: I went down the basement and checked the pump and sure enough in the basket was the gage, a little nubby thing and some kind of cap. :whoot: I'm really glad I looked in there. I guess I need to find out what the other things are. Dh and I are planning on opening ourselves this weekend. I'm so glad I asked here. Thanks. :goodjob:

melissab said:
You guys are awesome. :party: I went down the basement and checked the pump and sure enough in the basket was the gage, a little nubby thing and some kind of cap. :whoot: I'm really glad I looked in there. I guess I need to find out what the other things are. Dh and I are planning on opening ourselves this weekend. I'm so glad I asked here. Thanks. :goodjob:

Odds are you have the drain plugs for your pump and filter in there. Typically two for the pump, and the filter drain is often like a cap.

So here is what was in the basket. Pressure gage, I'm guessing filter cap and I'm not sure what the little thing is? Any thoughts? I don't see drain plugs for the pump, any idea where else they may have put them?

3bd7750c.jpg

From left to right, my best guesses.
Clamp for waste hose.
Front, pump strainer drain plug
Back, Filter bottom drain cap
Pressure gage
Pump strainer basket
GE iron
And holding it all up, a very nice Maytag dryer! :mrgreen:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Black plug goes on the bottom of your filter. I'm guessing it's a Pentair? The hose clamp could be for the backwash line. And the liitle "thing" is hard to tell what it is? Should be pump plug, hard to tell. And an IRON(GE).

Bama Rambler said:
From left to right, my best guesses.
Clamp for waste hose.
Front, pump strainer drain plug
Back, Filter bottom drain cap
Pressure gage
Pump strainer basket
GE iron
And holding it all up, a very nice Maytag dryer! :mrgreen:

Ok that made me choke on my pizza. :lol:

In another post above someone mentioned 2 pump drain plugs, is it possible I have one or should I check some where for another?

Bama Rambler said:
If your pentair pump is a dynamo, it only has one drain plug (The little black thingy in front of the big black thingy, laying on the bigger white thingy). Bottom front of the strainer basket.

Ok, just for the record the little black thingy is what I call the "black nubby thing", I do have a dynamo and I found a little hole in the front of the pump I'm guessing that is where the black nubby thing, aka the little black thingy aka the drain plug goes?

I swear in real life I'm not an idiot, but I sure sound like one on this board sometimes. :cheers:

So when we open (I read pool school opening section a bunch of times) after the cover is off, and I connect the hoses is that when I put these items back on the pump and filter? Then add water to the filter and pool, then turn on pump?

Yep, that's when you put all that back where it goes Once you fill the pool up to the skimmer the water will fill up the filter. The multiport valve is probably set on winterize, so don't forget to set it to filter after hooking everything back up.
Use teflon tape on the gage and pump plug and silicon pool lube on the filter drain cap.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.