Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool quote: sand filter size

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool quote: sand filter size

Hello -
    I've been quoted a Pentair 30" Tagelus sand filter for my pool build. Reading up on TFP, I know that it'd be best to have an oversized filter and wanted to make sure that this fits the bill.

The specifics for my PB at this time:
    18x32 rectangular sport pool (3.5 - 6 - 4) with auto cover, approx. 20k gallons
    2" throughout (2 skimmers, 2 drains, 1 dedicated line, 4 returns)
    Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp (I'm requesting a quote on a Pentair IntelliFlo)
    SWG - Pentair Intellichlor
    Heater Rheem
    Autocover

Thanks for your help!

Also - I've been told that it would be good to ask for unions to be installed between all the equipment for future issues (easy removal, replacement, troubleshooting) - is this generally recommended from TFP?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool quote: sand filter size

I'm not against unions, but I don't find them worth the trouble/expense. PVC is easy to work with, just cut it and then glue it up again. So I reserve unions for something that gets opened up at least once a year, which isn't all that much.

Yes that is a nice large filter.

If you don't get an {EDIT}IntelliFlo{/EDIT}, think about getting a two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason, why do you say if you DON'T get an Intellichlor then get a 2 spd pump? I was planning on getting both.

Will the Intelichlor not work on low speed with the WFDS4 Whisperflo?
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I said that wrong, if you don't get an IntelliFlo, ie don't get a variable speed pump, then get a two speed pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I am pro-union on PVC pipe if it is run through concrete, there is only so many times you can cut and splice it over the years before you find yourself at the point where you need a jack hammer to get to bare pipe to splice.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

So I will be fine running my IC40 on low speed then? I know the min flow is 25 gpm but wasn't sure what low speed on the 1hp wfds4 would get me. Everything will be 2".

I don't want to buy the 2 spd pump and not be able to use low speed. Please confirm.

Thanks.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Exactly what happens depends somewhat on your plumbing, still a 1 HP pump on low almost always has enough flow for an IC40.

8. Back To Top    #8

Everything will be 2". Equip pad will be about 40 or so ft from pool deep end that has two main drains. There will be four returns and one skimmer. Quad DE 60 filter.

does that help? Which salt system would be most likely to work on lower flow?

9. Back To Top    #9

You should be totally fine then.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks everyone (yet again) for the answers to my questions! Have a great Monday.