Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My pool build - a nightmare so far.

1. Back To Top    #1

My pool build - a nightmare so far.

I have no idea why the company I am using is in such a hurry but so far these are the issues we are facing ( and those we have encountered)
    Signed the contract and told them the day I would have my tree guys out to cut down 3 trees. So the pool company comes and sprays the outline a day BEFORE my tree guys are coming. SO - they have to respray the design. WASTED TIME and Effort.

They cant seem to spray the outline properly, they do the day of the dig, litterally the diggers are waiting while they rush to paint the outline.
    I was supposed to have my spinkler system capped before we dug. NOPE no capping, just mowed over everything.

GUNITE - they came out and did the gunite, but there were two problems, one they had to dig out the wall of the hot tub because the steel was sticking out of the dam wall, they filled it in as I watched. Next there is a corner that colapsed TWICE, the second time I saw them fill it in with sand and they did not bother to blow more gunite, they just used scrappings from the floor of the pool. This area 5 days later remains much darker after watering and is not smooth and looks chunky. I know I will have a problem here.

Today SUNDAY, a crew shows up to start laying out the plumbing, however I have a HUGE drainage issue, I told them before I started that the drainage issue is HUGE, so these guys are laying pumbing pipe where a drainage pipe needs to go, and the drainage run is going to be a long one and because of the elevation of my yard the drain pipe will need to be at a pretty good slope, but now there is pumbing pipe exactly where we will need drain pipe. This is unbelievable. I mean they might have to undu all the pipe they have laid and cut it and patch it ( much like they did in my hot tub because they used the wrong pipe in the hot tube and had to come out and cut the pvc and use the right pipe, they even re used the old connectors. I watched the guy dig out pvs from his cuts, it is now all in gunite but I know I will have a leak inside my spa. No way the job he did will hold water.)

I keep telling these fools that they need to slow down, were not in any hurry we want it right. The owner is going to be here tomorrow.

Does anyone know a sure fire way to test gunite? I know that corner is messed up.

Anyone know why they would lay plumbing KNOWING that drainage is going to have to go under the plumbing pipe?

This is the craziest bunch I have ever seen, they are going 100 mph and they just dont seem to talk to each other .

I will update my note here as we go.
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My pool build - a nightmare so far.

Welcome to TFP!

By any chance did you get any pictures of the issues you have encountered. Pictures always help when asking for advise.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry you are having so many problems. I'm familiar with that mind set: "we are in such a hurry that we can't be bothered to actually think".
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just say NO? Team meeting and back up and punt time I think. I'd take pictures and document everything to death (for the lawyer).
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

I will post my pictures soon, I failed to get pictures of the corner when it had collapsed, and I failed to get a picture of them digging out the **** wall and beating the rebar back with a sledge hammer. I did take pictures of the plumbing. And yes I have asked them a few times to meet and that never happens. Maybe I can talk to them tomorrow when they pick up the gunite check. So far I would give them a C for construction, F for communication. I will say that other than the gunite guys, there crews have worked really hard, but sometimes it is better to work smarter not harder and all these folks are doing is creating more work for themselves.
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa

6. Back To Top    #6

There is no faster way to have a meeting and increase communication than to withhold payment....at least temporarily.
    IG 24k plaster with overflow spa. Goldline PS-8 SWG. Tristar 0.75 HP filter pump, Polaris 280, large cartridge filter, 400k BTU NG Max-E-Therm HD, SR Smith Turbo Twister, Life Saver pool fence, ORP managed.

7. Back To Top    #7

The owner is going to be here tomorrow.
    The owner of the pool company?

Be careful with the payment schedule, in California it is very easy for a contractor to put a Mechanic's Lien against your house.

We had a Steel and Plumbing Inspection (Country INspector) before the Gunite shoot. Any problems or issues with the Spa or clearance to shoot the Gunite should have been discovered well before the Concrete Truck arrived.

I would stop all work on the project and schedule a meeting to get everything figured out before moving forward.
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Here are some pictures

9. Back To Top    #9

Not the best pictures but the "bad" side stays wet looking for over 12 hour.

More bad side

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay owner came by today, I pointed out the area. He said lts test it, he got a hammer and started beating on it! Nothing happened. So I guess I am ok!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by merl
    Okay owner came by today, I pointed out the area. He said lts test it, he got a hammer and started beating on it! Nothing happened. So I guess I am ok!
    I'm glad everything should be OK. Do you have any pics of the whole pool so we can see the shape? Keep us posted.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

12. Back To Top    #12

Today they came and started tiling my spa **** wall, it is not suppoed to be tiled. I need a 10% micromanagment fee!

13. Back To Top    #13

So now we are "fighting" over the coping. It is PINK, will post pictures soon. We wanted flagstone that is not in anyway PINK, I have a backyard full of cut pink coping, and it looks like ****. It was supposed to be buckskin which has no pink. The owner came out today and they were supposed to bring some more flagstone and remove the pink and replace, nope he shows up and they just move it around. It is a total joke, it does not match the stacked rock of the spa and we are beside ourselves. This is unbelievable.

Also, I noted that the drain for the overflow is cut into the tile at an angle, it isnt even horizontal. The wife pointed it out to the guy and he said it looks fine.. I'll post pic.

14. Back To Top    #14

When I bought this house the pool inspector said he could tell my pool was 50 years old. How? Everything was straight and you can tell they took their time. Those days are gone.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

Does this look straight?

16. Back To Top    #16

The middle is the color we wanted, the rest is pink

17. Back To Top    #17

More Pink

18. Back To Top    #18

BRICK, well we decided to go with brick coping, I dont like it at all but it is the best we can come up with I guess. I can't believe that we went to the PB's store front picked out a flagstone which was not pink, we told the guys who delivered and started cutting it, that it was pink, told the sales person it was pink, told the owner it was pink and somehow we feel like the bad guys. I hate that the guys had to cut all this PINK flagstone. I really dont want to go here but I think if at least one guy on the job site spoke english we might have been able to prevent this but I really dont know. We told the guys as many times as we could, no rjo (sp) they smiled and kept cutting. The sales person got on the phone with the site foreman, who happened to be here and told him I assume, but it just kept going. We also told the owner, who as I have mentioned was to come here with substitute flagstone, but that didnt happen. My wife it totally freaked out, she is worried that they are now going to somehow "mess" up the pool. They are going to have to sledgehammer out a ton of pink flagstone.

19. Back To Top    #19

I think brick coping will look really nice in that pool. I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this garbage!

The overflow drain looks a little bit tilted, but you're never going to stick your head in the skimmer opening and stare at it. Well, at least I wouldn't Using rebound (scraps from the floor) isn't ideal, but I don't think it will be a stability issue. It's common. Most pool building offer a lifetime warranty on the shell integrity at least.........so theoretically you're covered. Did you/they get the drainage issue figured out?

Looking forward to seeing more pictures! How bout the pool as a whole?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

20. Back To Top    #20

merl-We must be related. The tale of your pool build is all to familiar at my house. I have decided that you have to be a total ***** to get the job done right. Any time I have someone quote a job for me now I tell them to factor in that I am an *** to work for. I say document/document/document. It may not hurt to nut up a couple of times as well. Hope everything gets going better for you soon.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast