Main drain vs. skimmer

Apr 14, 2011
Hello all. Second thread here. I started one in regards to valve ID: valve-id-identifying-my-valves-t29967.html

It seems when I turn my main drain/skimmer valve all the way to main drain pressure drops to zero and the basket in front of pump drains. So I haven't kept it there for more than a few seconds. My question is can I turn skimmer completely off and just keep main drain running. If so what other valves need to be on or off.

Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Pressure goes up? Are you sure?

The main drain/skimmer valve should be the right most valve in the photo, it looks slightly gray and is directly in front of the pump. In the picture it is set to draw from both sides.

It is not uncommon for a main drain to become clogged, but when that happens and you set it to main drain only the pressure should go way down.

When you say the pressure skyrockets just how high does it go?
And what does it normally run?

You can turn the skimmer off but you most likely don't want to do that. In most applications the skimmer is more important than the main drain.

Yes you guys are right. My bad. It does drop to zero when I turn to MD only. My normal running pressure when set half and half is 14psi.

Its when I turn my wall return off when pressure jumps up.

That means the main drain is blocked somewhere. The blockage is often right near the main drain, in which case blowing water backwards through the plumbing will sometimes clear it. You could try turning off the pump, set the valve for main drain only, get a garden hose and either something like a Drain King, or a coiled up rag, and seal the garden hose to the inlet pipe inside the pump strainer basket. Then turn on the garden hose and see if it can blow the debris out. When it works it tends to make a mess, but it is a lot simpler than the alternatives.

OK so I just tried the garden hose method. I saw bubbles come up from the main drain and when I openes the returns the wall inlet by the debris collection system was flowing as well.

When I put everything back and ran the pump it seemed nothing changed. I can't get any suction from that wall inlet and when turned on only main drain pressure drops and pump strainer basket drains.

Do I need to take a plunge down to the main drain. Got my scuba gear ready :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.