Intex Krystal Clear Pump problem -UPDATED

SusanB

Apr 15, 2011
I have a 12 x 24 Intex AG pool that I got last summer. I assembled the pool and filter and everything worked perfectly last year. I left the pool up over the winter, but I brought in the pump/filter and SWG. When I opened the pool last weekend, the water was clear with the exception of a small bit of debris that had gotten under the tarp. I hooked up the pump/filter (Model 633T) and SWG (Model CS8110).

Things appear to work well when you first turn on the pump, the water pumps well and the output is good. After a while, the output just becomes nonexistent. I don't know how long it takes for the flow to become non existent. I have cleaned the filter cartridge repeatedly, checked the hoses and everything else I could think of and it still happens. Of course when the water flow decreases, I get the low flow warning on the SWG. I don't think the SWG has anything to do with the problem and hopefully the pump isn't bad as it has only been used for about 3 months last year before it was stored indoors.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the flow issues?

Re: Intex Krystal Clear Pump problem

The only thing I can think of is that the filter is getting clogged and slowing down the flow. You say you are cleaning the filter repeatedly, is the filter dirty each time? The SWG has nothing to do with the pump flow. The water just passes though the SWG. I would suggest upgrading to a better pump and filter. :cheers:

crookm11 said:
The only thing I can think of is that the filter is getting clogged and slowing down the flow. You say you are cleaning the filter repeatedly, is the filter dirty each time? The SWG has nothing to do with the pump flow. The water just passes though the SWG. I would suggest upgrading to a better pump and filter. :cheers:

I put in a new filter last weekend when I got the pool up and running and when I had the flow problem I replaced the filter with another new filter. I am cleaning the filters I take out because they aren't that dirty and they come clean with a good hosing. The main problem I have found with the filter when I clean it is there are a lot of bugs. I must have the dumbest bugs on the planet; they keep drowning themselves in my pool. I don't have a cover on the pool right now, but I have ordered a solar cover. Can I put something on the skimmer to try to trap smaller bugs so they don't make it to the filter?

I have looked at the manual, but there is not much there. During my research for this problem, I notice that a lot of times it is an impeller problem. I haven't been able to find anything that suggests that this pump has a readily accessible impeller for me to check and I really don't want to dismantle this thing if I don't have to.

I do want to upgrade to a better pump and filter, but I was hoping I could plead my case for that next summer. I have to do research to tell my husband why a new pump and filter is necessary and can't be lived without :-D

Well, if you can show him this one is barely functioning that should help! Intex really doesn't design their pumps to be repairable. They do make a better pump/filter combo with a sand filter that is not real expensive. I would comb craigslist, ebay, and local classifieds and look for a good used pump and filter.

Bottom line is the pool will not stay clean and clear without a working pump and filter.

So after some testing, we have determined that the pump works fine without the skimmer basket attached. Once we attach the skimmer basket somehow it gets air in the line and causes the loss of flow. Now we just have to figure out why attaching the skimmer basket causes the problem.

It is one of those really "fancy" ones that came with the Intex pool; I think they call it their deluxe maintenance kit. It hangs on the wall and attaches with a flexible hose to the inlet (?) hose. Maybe there is a bad O-ring that is causing air to get in?

Hi Susan....have you figured out the problem with your pump yet? I just purchased the same pump for my 15x42 AGP and I'm experiencing the same problem myself. My first instinct was a faulty pump, just as you mentioned, but after some long hours and testing I believe now that the skimmer is what's causing the problem. I'm still trying different things though to actually pinpoint the cause of lost flow. The skimmer is designed for pumps up to 4000GPH so it shouldn't be the culprit if this is true, but so far all my testing has proved that I only lose flow after running the skimmer for a long period of time (overnight).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is one of those really "fancy" ones that came with the Intex pool; I think they call it their deluxe maintenance kit. It hangs on the wall and attaches with a flexible hose to the inlet (?) hose. Maybe there is a bad O-ring that is causing air to get in?

The problem is NOT your filter pump....... the problem is when you connect the skimmer basket to the inlet fitting, the pump is trying to pump more water than can flow thru the inlet opening with the skimmer basket connected, the remedy is......... make sure you put the directional fitting on the pool that has the water returning into the pool ..... next you will have to drill about 10 small holes into the fitting that screws onto the inlet to the pump that the skimmer basket connects to........ this will allow more water into the pump........ I had the same problem and devised this fix......... To understand this would mean a person has minor idea of how a pump works...... if the pump is pumping more water than can fit through the inlet, it will pump the filter compartment dry and end up pumping air because there is no more water for it to pump..... you need to have enough water into the pump for the pump to work. when you put the skimmer basket connection to the pump you are reducing the amount of water allowed thru the smaller opening ..... so on the blue fitting that screws onto the inlet to the pump and allows the skimmer to connect do this....... unscrew it drill about 10 1/8 inch holes into it you can experiemet and drill only a few to start with and see how many you need before the pump starts working properly. This worked for me. Good luck.

I have the Intex 2650 gph sand filter and the Intex deluxe skimmer. While I'm not sure where your issue lies, I do know the skimmer provides plenty of water to the pump when properly setup. It is not necessary to drill any additional holes in the blue adapter.

I'm not sure which fittings you have. In some of the fittings there is a "grid" behind the blue adapter. You may want to take off the skimmer hose and unscrew the blue adapter to see if it's clogged behind that fitting.

I put in a new filter last weekend when I got the pool up and running and when I had the flow problem I replaced the filter with another new filter. I am cleaning the filters I take out because they aren't that dirty and they come clean with a good hosing. The main problem I have found with the filter when I clean it is there are a lot of bugs. I must have the dumbest bugs on the planet; they keep drowning themselves in my pool. I don't have a cover on the pool right now, but I have ordered a solar cover. Can I put something on the skimmer to try to trap smaller bugs so they don't make it to the filter?

I have looked at the manual, but there is not much there. During my research for this problem, I notice that a lot of times it is an impeller problem. I haven't been able to find anything that suggests that this pump has a readily accessible impeller for me to check and I really don't want to dismantle this thing if I don't have to.

I do want to upgrade to a better pump and filter, but I was hoping I could plead my case for that next summer. I have to do research to tell my husband why a new pump and filter is necessary and can't be lived without :-D

I used a stocking in the skimmer basket

I have always used "panty Hose" and place it over the skinner basket. I cut the top half of the panty hose as it has an elastic waist band, this collects small debris & dumb bugs. I clean it once a day and usually get out brown muck & bugs, leaves, this also prevents the filter from getting dirty so fast. Peeps on this forum recommend changing the filter at least 2 times per week when problems like uses occur. I too hose down the cartage but even after the hosing down I still get a low flow. Which is when I reach for a new cartage.

9 X 12 X 52 Intex ultra frame with new 633T filter pump /B cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.