Schematic for my pool?

minmex

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Far North TX
Hello - I am a total pool noob, just bought my first house with a pool a couple weeks ago and just got over here a few days ago, so now I hope to get the pool in order...this site already helped me figure out a few things. The pool is about 10000 gallon with sand filter and 1hp pump

It was in good condition when I got the house, but I'm not sure what these valves do exactly. I do know that the one on the farthest left (#1) is for the vacuum port, and that the one on the farthest right (#3), connected to the jandy valve is for the skimmer. It is the other two that I don't understand. I imagine that the other side of the jandy valve (#2) is the bottom drain? But then what is the one that in on the first Tee just before the pump (#4)? It has a shut off valve on it but I cannot see in the pool what it does when I open or close it.

The pool has one skimmer, one floor drain, and one vacuum port, so the fourth pipe is a mystery to me. The gauge on the sand filter currently shows about 25psi when running. Does that seem reasonable?

So my question is..what is each of those 4 pipes, and how should I leave the valves setup for a TFP?

Thank you

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 108
Welcome to TFP!

It looks like there have been changes to your plumbing over the years. That makes it extra difficult to figure out what is going on.

The fourth place water might be coming from is a sump under the pool, to lower the ground water level. Or the forth pipe might simply be capped off underground somewhere.

One way to investigate is to turn off everything except one pipe and see where it draws from. When doing this be careful to not run the pump for very long if it isn't drawing any water, ie you are trying a capped off pipe.

So for normal operation would I want to leave the jandy valve in the middle and the other two ball valves shut off?

It seems like have a lot of dirt in the bottom of the pool, although we are going through a very dry time here and there is always a lot of dust in the air, I just thought the floor drain might do a better job of sucking that out before it settles. Though it might be that I haven't had the valves set correctly :O . I'm not 100% sure that the jandy valve is splitting the floor and the skimmer ( I know for sure that one side is the skimmer but the other is ??), but I believe that is way it is usually done correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.