New Pool in Ohio, too late to add salt?

Jul 10, 2007
Ohio
I posted a similar question a month ago about deciding if I should buy a heater and SWG system now or wait till spring. I figured I might as well buy it now, as waiting did nothing for me from a warranty perspective. I have bought a Jandy 2500 series heater, and an Autopilot Dig-60 SWG. My question is now, if I dump in the 600-800 lbs of salt I need to get started, will that money be thrown away, or will the waters salt PPM stay pretty stable over the winter? I figured I could just add clorine for the next few weeks as needed (Pool liner was just dropped in today, and they will be dying to swim this weekend!)

And since I am posting, what is the best and cheapest salt to dump in again? I will search the forum, but if someone that knows responds before I can search, I appreciate the help!

--Chuck

Get Morton solar salt from Lowe's or Walmart. You will lose some salt over the winter unless you have a solid cover to keep from adding rainwater to the pool.

If you're losing water through spill out, you're going to lose salt too. Normal evaporation of water does not lose salt. You can add it now AND run your PoolPilot, as the Pool Pilot does not have a low temperature cut off. However, under cold water conditions, the output % will be limited due to the Automatic Temperature Compensation feature.

Thanks for selecting the Pool Pilot system for your pool!

Sean

Thanks JohnT and PoolSean, both questions answered.

PoolSean, you and this forum IS the reason I purchased the Autopilot! I greatly value users of products input, I don't think there is a better way to buy anything!

--Chuck

Do You need Salt??

chuck1971 said:
Thanks JohnT and PoolSean, both questions answered.

PoolSean, you and this forum IS the reason I purchased the Autopilot! I greatly value users of products input, I don't think there is a better way to buy anything!

--Chuck

Chuck-make sure you sample your present salt content BEFORE adding any salt. Any pool store can do it for free or you can buy a kit for $20.00. Bottome line, I just installed in Aug an Autopilot and sampled my water (was using chlorox and TRI tabs), and found my water to already be at 1400ppm salt before adding any salt. As a result, I only had to add 300# of salt vice the 700# reccommended by the owners manual. After the add, I had 3000ppm by my test klit and also the Autopilot

Ditto what Don said... I assumed my salt would be zero since I never added any. I calculated I would need 5 bags of salt for my pool to get 2500ppm. Decided to test after adding 3 bags and I had overshot my goal by 700ppm so the pool must have had some salinity already.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.