Runtime SWG and sizing SOLVED

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
As I understand it a SWG output is stated/based upon 24 hour run time at full power. If this assumption is correct then we should base our sizing of the SWG of our pump run time in a day.

My pool is 17K Gal and pump run time is 8 hours. 8/24 = 1/3 of the day. So I'd be looking at a unit that 3 times bigger than my pool approximately.

Is this logic sound?

Re: Runtime SWG and sizing

Yes and no. SWGs are sized for the worst case chlorine usage, lots and lots of swimmers and sunlight, and for 24 hours a day pump usage. And of course how that is interpreted varies somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer. Very few pools come anywhere near the worst case chlorine usage, so the average pool is fine with a SWG of the size of the pool.

Regardless, we recommend getting a SWG that is two to three times larger than what you really need. That is almost always more cost effective in the long run and it gives you some extra chlorine producing ability in case your pump run time is really low or you have a big pool party.

Re: Runtime SWG and sizing

I'm am deciding between a Compupool CSCP 36 and a CSCP 48.
From the USA web site:
Specifications:
CPSC36
Chlorine output: 1.9 Ib / day (0.85 kg / day)
Running Cost: 320 Watt / 1.2 amp
Suitable for pools up to 40,000 gallons (160,000 litres)

CPSC48
Chlorine output: 2.5 Ib / day (1.1 kg / day)
Running Cost: 460 Watt / 1.5 amp
Suitable for pools up to 60,000 gallons (250,000 litres)
And the price difference is $120 dollars between them ($750/$630).

My pool size is 17K gallons and I'll be running the pump/SWG 8 hours (single speed 1hp pump). I'm leaning towards getting the CPSC48 to have the reserve capability.
Looking for opinions? Might it be worth the extra $120 to upsize.

(Great site. Learning lots. Thank you)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.