Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Almost filled it in!?&%#!

1. Back To Top    #1

Almost filled it in!?&%#!

We purchased a home last year (in Missouri) with a gunite, in-ground 15x30 ft pool, 4 ft on both ends and sloping to 6 feet in the middle. Because the home was a repo, the pool water was dark sludgy green, with bullfrogs living in it! Never having owned an in-ground pool, I was hesitant to spend the time and $$ to get it up and running.

Well....we drained the pool, spent a lot of time pressure washing the oxidized peeling paint off . (Apparantely, previous owners had painted the pool and filled it before it had time to cure). I didn't know if I should re-paint, but after peeking on this and other forums, I decided against repainting. So now, I have a light blue/white surface.

Previous owners also took the pump and filter system when they moved, but we found a 1.5 HP pump with a sand filter system on Craigslist for $300.

I have a lot of learning to do, being the rookie pool owner, but I did manage to keep the pipes from freezing over the winter and also kept most of the frogs out of it (although I'll find some baby frogs in the skimmer from time to time.)

Long story short, we enjoyed the pool immensely last summer and are looking forward to this season! Thanks for the forum, and hopefully I'll have something of interest to share from time to time!!
    15x30 Gunite, 17,000 gallon. Sta-Rite Crystal Flo Sand Filter, Centurian 1.0 HP pump. Pentair 320 In-Line Chlorinator. The Wall Whale. Hot Springs Spa.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Copperas Cove, Texas

Re: Almost filled it in!?&%#!

Welcome to TFP!

Good to here you didn't give up. Post some pics if you can.

Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Welcome to TFP!
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

Welcome to TFP.

Like Mark said, glad you didn't give up and fill it in. A little reading following pool school will keep you a trouble free pool owner.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit