Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I a miser, or what?

1. Back To Top    #1
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Am I a miser, or what?

It was hot today, and it's very mild this evening. Perfect for a dip in the spa.

So I cleared all the junk off the top of the heater, moved the valves to spa in, spa out, and was about to turn the heater on, when I had a brainstorm: Why am I heating all that water? As soon as we get in, a couple inches of hot water will get displaced and flow into the pool. So I moved the valves around and sucked the spa down about 4", and then put things back and started the heater. I also stuck an old yogurt tub lid over the air intake, as the bubbles tend to cool the water off.

Does this make me a miser?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2
    So. California

Re: Am I a miser, or what?

Any Scots in your ancestral line?
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

With a capital "M"!!

However, you'll have to keep workin' on it to become a downright cheapskate like I am. My shop is strewn with old screws and bent nails that I have removed from lumber....not only re-using the lumber but the screws and, usually, the nails. Old habits die hard.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    SouthWest Alabama

My mom would say that you're Thrifty! I'd say that you're smart. No use wasting money heating water that you're just going to throw out, as it were.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Coastalish 'down easter'

Someone once said, "A penny saved is a penny earned" (I just wish I had more of his pictures in my wallet )
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

You would be a miser if you made the hot tub volume only one gallon more than your body. You get in, add one gallon of water and then only heat one gallon. That's cheap.