Gunite vs Shotcrete???

Welcome to TFP!

They are both essentially the same thing. There are some technical differences in how the equipment used works, but the end result is essentially identical. Gunite always uses a dry mix, with water injected in the spray head, while Shotcrete can use either a wet mix or a dry mix. In modern usage Shotcrete almost always means wet mix. None of which is anything you really need to think about. In both cases the end result comes down to the skill of the operator.

I talked with a "gunite" guy who swears by gunite. He says he uses a "Ready mix" 6.7 sack mix from a plant with 6% moisture and does not mix in the street. He also believes that "shotcrete", using more water, will not be as strong. Should I really not worry about it?

If the crew knows what they are doing it will be the same in the end as far as you are concerned. As with many things pool related, the quality and experience of the people doing the work is much more important than the minor differences between gunite and shotcrete.

Jday92591 said:
I talked with a "gunite" guy who swears by gunite. He says he uses a "Ready mix" 6.7 sack mix from a plant with 6% moisture and does not mix in the street. He also believes that "shotcrete", using more water, will not be as strong. Should I really not worry about it?

I went through this when I was getting my pool and racked my brains on it. So I asked a client who was a Structural engineer and who specializes in concrete and building materials. Basically in the end its all the same stuff and strength.

Both sides will arguer. "if gunite is not mixed on site properly, it will be messed up." "they can't stop the flow once started and they have to scrape out excess rebound." We can stop and re-shoot with Shotcrete.

"if the shotcrete truck gets stuck in traffic or delayed, the the cement goes bad and you have a weaker pool, etc."

She told me, go with the company you trust and has worked with the material choice the longest. But its the same stuff and comes down to how well your company's "shooters" are and how reliable they are with their material choice.

I went with Shotcrete as my preferred builders uses it. They used Gunite and found the concrete guys here in my area were better with shotcrete than with unite.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.