Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which is more accurate, strips or drops?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which is more accurate, strips or drops?

For salt level testing I've been using the Aquacheck test strips. They seem to do an OK job but I'm wondering if the drop test is more accurate. Who makes a good salt drop test and where can I get it? My local Leslie's is unaware of any drop tests for salt.

Thanks,

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Which is more accurate, strips or drops?

I have Taylor K-1766. When you get the right number of drops in the tube the color change is very obvious. I just used it today.
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

The Taylor drop test is a fairly accurate test as long as oyu follow the directions precisely. I believe it's the K-1766. Tftestkits has it on their site.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, just placed my order with TFTestkits.

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Hi, Gary, (Thanks for the order...it'll ship tomorrow)

The benefit of this forum is that the combined real-world experiences folks post here are invaluable.

For a number of years, I was convinced that the salt strips were as accurate as the salt drops-based test. Posted member experiences here have taught me different.

That doesn't mean the salt strips are inadequate (they'll do fine in most cases) but it does mean that if you require more precision, the drops based test is a better product.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School