Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH and TA testing question

1. Back To Top    #1

CH and TA testing question

I'm having some trouble figuring out how many drops to use to get an accurate reading on my TA test. The sample first turns and stays red at 7 drops but one additional drop makes it a more definite red. Additional drops beyond 8 don't make any noticeable difference. Should I read the TA as 70 or 80?

Also, on the CH test the sample changes from very pale pinkish red to pale purplish blue at 30 drops with no additional color change at 31 drops. Is this as blue as it should get?

Thanks again for the help, TFP is the best!

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH and TA testing question

I'd call it 75 ppm for the TA, but you're always going to be +/- 10 ppm anyway, so it's not too critical to get the exact number.

Once the calcium test gives you the definite color change without any further change upon adding additional drops, then that's the number.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

According to Taylor's instructions, your TA result is 80. Count all drops until the last one makes no difference, then subtract the last on (that didn't make a difference) from you total.

It's really not that critical but that's how Taylor designed the tests.

It looks like you may be getting a little interference on the CH test (but it is still valid). Do the drop count exactly as the TA test.....i.e. your CH is 300.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I get the same shade of red (TA) and the same shade of blue (CH).
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Those are great pictures by the way.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

7. Back To Top    #7

It's hard to tell, but I think I get a bluer endpoint on the CH test. You could try doing the interference thing (start with 10 drops R-0012 before doing the R-0010 and R-0011, and those first 10 drops count in your total).
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

8. Back To Top    #8

The exact color doesn't matter, as long as it is some shade of the named color, and doesn't change when you add another drop, it is fine. Various things in the water can change the appearance of the color slightly, so it won't always be the same from pool to pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School