Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternative to pool skim top water cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternative to pool skim top water cleaner

I looking for something that will catch stuff (leaves. pollen, grass etc on the top of the water like the pool skim before it sinks.

My pool only has outlets in the pool, it has no returns except main drain and the 2 skimmers.

Any options out there for my situation?

Is it hard to add a return line to the side of an Inground pool except the digging part.
    Thanks
    16' x 40' inground Vinyl liner pool. Has a depth APX of 3 1/2' to 8'. Pool also has a right angle APX 4'10' on shallow end. in Southern Alabama. It is not covered with sun on it most the day. SWG. Apx 31k Gallons, Sand filter with 1 HP Pump. Don't know the flow rate.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alternative to pool skim top water cleaner

The main drains and skimmers draw water into the pump, there has to be a return for water to come back to the pool from the filter.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    The main drains and skimmers draw water into the pump, there has to be a return for water to come back to the pool from the filter.

I do have 4-5 returns that go back into the pool.

I thought the pool skim had be be used with a suction side.

If it uses the return back into the pool then I shouldn't have a problem.
    16' x 40' inground Vinyl liner pool. Has a depth APX of 3 1/2' to 8'. Pool also has a right angle APX 4'10' on shallow end. in Southern Alabama. It is not covered with sun on it most the day. SWG. Apx 31k Gallons, Sand filter with 1 HP Pump. Don't know the flow rate.

4. Back To Top    #4

The Pool Skim uses the pressure return lines to create a venturi effect (I think) that draws water and debris in the top and out to the net bag attached to the side of the unit.

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by phalcon51
    The Pool Skim uses the pressure return lines to create a venturi effect (I think) that draws water and debris in the top and out to the net bag attached to the side of the unit.

Gary
    That's correct Gary
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I have one of these things and it works awesome. However, the net is starting to get a couple holes and can't find a replacement. Anyone know of a store that carries them or some other alternative? All you really need is a mesh net with a drawstring on one side.
    16x32 in ground vinyl pool. 48 square foot DE filter (though using fiber clear, DE alternative). 3/4hp super pump. Chlorine.

7. Back To Top    #7

35,000 gal pool
    Pentair whisper flo & Cartridge Filter
    Caretaker 99 in floor
    Suntrek Solar panels
    Las Vegas,NV