Filter Start Up

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Preparing to open my pool. I read about bleeding air from the sand filter by turning to vent or opening valve on pressure gauge until all the air was out. My filter doesn't have a vent setting nor does it have a valve on the pressure gauge. Would it work to leave the pressure gauge out while filling until water comes out the opening for the gauge,then install the gauge?
On initial priming of the pump I figure I should remove plugs from pool and replace eyes to allow water into pipes,then fill pump (my pump is above pool level with one way flap installed in the pipe). Should the sand filter be set to filter setting while it is filling with water?
After full turn off and install gauge and continue running. Am I on the right road or have I missed a turn or two???
Pool guy connected everything last year and I did the chemicals and cleaning. Time for me to take the next step and do it all! Oh yeah,by chemicals I mean chlorine thru the liquidator after initial shock,, borax,,baking soda,,,and muratic acid when needed. All monitored closely with the 100XL of course. Thanks for the direction....

If your filter has a top mounted multi-port valve, which I believe that it does, you don't need to bleed the air out, as the valve will do that for you automatically.

You can set the valve to either filter or circulate. Usually filter is best, but if you have problems sometimes circulate avoids the problems. Everything else you said is right, except no need to remove the pressure gauge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.