Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Stains in New Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Stains in New Pool

New pool installed in December, salt water/gunite, and new owner as well. ph is 7.6, Cl is 2.0 and TA is 100. Just recently I have noticed water marks on tile and stone, white marks marking the top line of the water and on the water fall. For a long time, our Cl level was really high and I never noticed the stains. Now that the Cl level is in range(??), I have noticed staining. Is there something wrong with my chemistry or should I be doing something different? I can send water samples to my pool contractor and they keep telling me that my levels are all low, especially my TA. I've been using the pool calculator and I thought I was on the right path. Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Water Stains in New Pool

More then likely these are calcium deposits on the tile and stone. You can also get efflorescence coming through the stone from the morter.
    You may be in an area that has hard water.
    If it is early on you can just use a non abrasive pad on the tile, or just brush it to clean it. On the stone you can use a 5 to 1 water to muratic acid mix to eat off the calcium. Follow all safety rules when working with acid. Best to do a little test area, though most real stones can handle that.

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Water Stains in New Pool

Welcome to TFP!
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"