Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I would like to add borates to my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

I would like to add borates to my pool

I would like to add borates to my pool. I added stabilizer from Lesile's Pool when I opened it this year. Can I still add the borates? Also I just treated it for algae and the water is milky white. Should I wait to add the borates until it's clear or will it help get it clear?

30,000 gals
    Sand Filter
    IG, Vinyl
    South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: I would like to add borates to my pool

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you can add borates, but it would be best to wait until the water has cleared up and things are stable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Houston, Texas

Hi, welcome to TFP! Wait until your pool is clear and the water balanced before adding borates. Can you post a set of current test results? What did you use to treat the algae?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Central Kentucky

I agree with Zea3, wait until your water clears. While you're waiting read the article you wont have any regrets. I added borates to my pool early last year. My pH never moved all season
    Intek 15' diameter X 4'deep 4,800 gallon AG beginner pool, updated with a Hayward sand filter, 60GPM pump. TF-50 Test Kit. Upgraded to TK-100