It is cold up here....I just can't wait any longer....

Aug 29, 2010
Southern NH
Our pool build finished late September of last year. We swam a handful of times and closed it (live in Southern NH).

So I consider this my first season as a pool owner. I have been reading this site a lot to get prepared for taking care of my pool.

Since I remember last year around Easter time it was really nice outside (it was 80, IRRC, the kids chocolate we hid around the yard was melting), I figured we should open early this year in hopes of getting a few early swim days in.

The pool is open and crystal clear (the pool builders haven't "salted" our pool yet, probably next week). The water temp fluctuates between 47-53F, which is obviously too cold for anyone to actually swim in.

That being said, my family is really aching to go swimming, so we are potentially willing to burn some of that $3.50/gallon propane :grrrr: we have left in our tank from winter.

Even though my wife said she refuses to deal with a pool with a solar cover (she has nightmares from doing so as a child), I refuse to heat the pool in this weather without one.

So, here comes my question. Is it a complete waste to heat up the pool (with the solar cover) for what potentially might only be an hour a week of swimming? The current temperature range is 55-68 daytime and 28 :!: -45 at night. Is this just a losing battle of heat and cost? Will the solar cover keep my heat in (while we aren't using the pool) enough where it is worth turning the heat on this early in the season? That is, if I get it up to 80F and keep it covered, how often will the heater need to run to maintain things (note, we also have an electric heat pump, but I doubt it is much use at night right now, when we will lose most of our heat)?

This is what the pool looks like this morning (it is overcast and early in the morning)
5624451604_caa41496d9_b.jpg

I hate just looking at the pool without being able to go in (I could buy a wet suit, I presume, that would be cheaper then heating it, actually, I could buy a wet suit for the whole neighborhood for less then heating right now, I assume).

Thanks

Only you can say whether the cost to heat the pool is worth it. Are the days sunny? Typically you can get about 8-10 degrees of warmth out of a solar cover. Since your water is probably in the 50 degree range that would not be enough without cranking on the heater. The solar cover will help keep the heat in, but it will not maintain the heat at 80 degrees for very long.

Some of our cold weather members can give you more information on when it is most economically feasible to start heating the pool.

Just to be clear, I know it is going to cost me money to run the heater, especially when it is not warm out. At what temperature is it realistic to heat your pool to a usable temperature early season. Note: I work from home, so I could swim at any point, but with a Solar Cover I am less likely to take 10 minutes swims every day.

In case anyone is curious, I turned the heat on this morning, the solar cover goes on tonight.

It will be 70 or so 4 days this week and the kids are off from school (although the chance of rain for most days but today is 40%. Pool was 48 when we woke up and is around 59 right now.

So, the pool got to around 68 when I got home from family festivities yesterday (and I turned the heat off shortly after). Since the sun had gone away, I was the only brave soul to go swimming. Our beautiful solar cover is now on and the rest of the week doesn't look like it is going to be as nice as we hoped....I am really curious what the temperature of the pool will be today (how much the solar cover has retained the heat). If the week really does look bad, I am probably just going to leave it covered with no swimming (or heating)...

Ok, quick update (for those who care). The week ended up being pretty good. We used a little more propane and the heat pump for awhile and the pool has kept around 81 all week long (and it is today) with the help of the solar cover. Loving it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thats what i'm gonna do. But long range i dont see a lot of decent weather. Then again today at my house its 75 and it was supposed to barely hit 63 today, so go figure. I think this weekend i might crank it to 80 with the propane, get my SWG going and keep it at 75 or so with the heat pump. I'm tired of pouring in bleach. I'm spoiled with the SWG so pouring in chlorox is a PITA.

We used the propane to get the heat up, and used the heat pump maybe a total of 3-4 hours to get the heat going in the morning a week ago. But on days where it goes up to 70, the sun has brought the temperature up to 80 or so from 76 (which it went to overnight). Sort of surprised how a little sun brings the temperature way up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.