I have a unit that I believe is just over 5 years old. I know that it is at the tail end of its life expectancy, but of course would like to squeak out more time rather than paying $800 to replace the system.
I have had problems off and on with the unit not generating. The salt read out was showing about 300 ppm under what the pool store was showing. I just kept it high enough to produce.
About 2 weeks ago, we had about 10 inches of rain. I checked the salt after, and it had dropped to between 1500-2000. It bounced back and forth for a few days not producing. About three days ago, it started getting green.
I had the pool store check it. I had 4200 ppm of salt. On Thursday, I used shock and a yellow remover. The pool water looks better but still not generating.
I pulled of the cover and replaced the fuse and looked for any burn marks. I didn't see anything that looks disconnected or damaged. I moved the off/auto/super switch a few times hoping to reset it. I probably shouldn't have as now the numbers are bouncing between 100-700 ppm.
The cell was checked at the pool store and is functional. The store said that I needed a motherboard replacement for $300 or a new system for $800.
The store checked my water. It showed:
Acid demand- 2
Total alkalinity- 120ppm
Calcium Hardness- 260 ppm
Stabilizer- 50 ppm I ADDED 2 POUNDS after the reading
Salt- 4200 ppm
My current numbers are reading as: