Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid clorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid clorine

Is it OK to pour the liquid clorine directly into the skimmer ? Or you should always pour it slowly in front of the return jets ?
    P_

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid clorine

This is a somewhat controversial topic. Clearly, one should not pour acid into the skimmer. Adding a chemical like baking soda into the skimmer slowly enough to not clump up is clearly OK. Pouring chlorinating liquid or bleach into the skimmer infrequently isn't a problem, but the question is whether regular addition has any effect on pump seals or other equipment. In my own pool, I try to open the cover and pour slowly over a return flow at the deep end, but in a pinch infrequently I pour into the skimmer if the cover is a mess, for example (I have to clear it off before opening it).

There are quite a few people who pour into the skimmer and haven't reported problems. I'm just concerned because the chlorine level is clearly higher, but the high pH moderates that somewhat and the exposure time is relatively short.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

If you poured it in the skimmer as fast as it will pour out of the container it could possibly create a problem but if you poured it in a steady small stream it probably won't be an issue. Now having said that, I recommend always pouring it in front of a return. That ensures that you never have a problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I vote for return.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Wouldn't pouring into skimmer guarantee dispersal throughout the pool better/faster than in front of the return?
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1½ HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

6. Back To Top    #6

This was actually the point of my question. Pouring in front of the return will still involve some stirring in order to ensure proper propagation. While the return valve should take that by themselves .............
    P_

7. Back To Top    #7

Both methods insure rapid and complete mixing. The risk with pouring into the skimmer is that the bleach will still be fairly concentrated when it reaches the pump seals and the heater and could possibly cause some damage in those places over repeated applications. Theory says there is some risk to pouring in the skimmer, practice says that nothing seems to actually go wrong when poured in the skimmer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School