Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 5400 gallon pool. Is there a DIY solar heater option?

1. Back To Top    #1

5400 gallon pool. Is there a DIY solar heater option?

I would love to add a solar heater. Is there a reasonably price option for a small pool in NC? What system should I consider?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 5400 gallon pool. Is there a DIY solar heater option?

Sure, there are many options. Partly it depends on how DIY you want to be. You can get solar panels on eBay very inexpensively and pick up the other parts you need from Internet pool supply places. Or for a little more money you can get a complete kit with everything you need. Or, more expensive, you can have someone install it for you. The first question is where do you want to put the panels. Putting them on the ground is easy and inexpensive, but doesn't look so great. Mounting on a roof adds complexity and expense. Or you can build racks to hold the panels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

This is the system I installed myself and it works well. Even if you don't go with this, the site has good information I think. http://www.h2otsun.com/
    22K gallon pool, newly installed pentair 4X160 pump, Quad D.E. 80, Intellichlor 40, and Easytouch 4(not so easy).

4. Back To Top    #4

For a 5400 gal pool, a 4x20 solar bear fafco panel would be my recommendation.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mlt
    This is the system I installed myself and it works well. Even if you don't go with this, the site has good information I think. http://www.h2otsun.com/
    What is the ballpark price?
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm sure you can find something less expensive, but here is a good example of a complete kit of parts for a solar system for an above ground pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School