Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Vinyl 'Breakin' period?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Vinyl 'Breakin' period?

I just made the jump to a permanent pool (see signature) from an intex 24' round. I've followed BBB with all my old pools and plan to continue (I LOVE IT). Since I've got 30K gal of H2O in my backyard, I'm been working really hard to get my chemistry stablized - TX summers are tough on chlorine, so borates are in my immediate future.

Anyway - my attempts at shocking the pool seem to be short lived. For example, I add 6% bleach to get FC to 14 in the evening, and by morning, it has dropped to 6. In the past, it has dropped a little more gradually (I typically keep my daughter out of the pool for 2 days after a shock). My TF100 results are:

FC -2
    CC -.5
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 120
    CH - 200
    CYA - 30

I'm running the pump during the day only, unless I'm messing with the chemistry. Should I lower my TA/PH before worrying about chlorine stability? There isn't a break in period on vinyl is there (tt was installed/filled just last week)? I've got some grit in the deep end from the drift when the backfilled around the pool, but I have been keeping the veggie matter (leaves, etc) dipped out (Nitro is scheduled for delivery tomorrow).

I know I have to drop TA/pH to prep for borates, but wanted a stable pool before I messed with something else. Am I worrying too soon?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    21x41 Oval Doughboy Autumn Breeze installed mostly inground
    Vari-depth Vinyl liner (4ft/6.5ft - about 30K gallon)
    1HP Jandy ProFlow / Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic Cleaner
    TF-100 for chemistry / BBB Method / Borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Vinyl 'Breakin' period?

If you're losing that much chlorine overnight, something's going on. You may have to devote your weekend to hourly test and pour to keep the FC up. Whatever it is....kill it.

And when it's dead and FC has dropped to a nomal level, then play with the rest.

To occupy yourself through the impatient period, you could read up on some homemade aerators. There's been a few threads recently; use the search function.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Richard - Should I follow the procedure/guidlines for the overnight FC test, considering whatever it is dead once I hold FC for more than 2 or 3 test cycles?
    21x41 Oval Doughboy Autumn Breeze installed mostly inground
    Vari-depth Vinyl liner (4ft/6.5ft - about 30K gallon)
    1HP Jandy ProFlow / Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Maytronics Dolphin Premier Robotic Cleaner
    TF-100 for chemistry / BBB Method / Borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by texasrh
    Thanks Richard - Should I follow the procedure/guidlines for the overnight FC test, considering whatever it is dead once I hold FC for more than 2 or 3 test cycles?
    Yes.

When it seems like you're through, do the overnight drop test. I suspected, but wasn't sure, that I had some algae taking hold down in my main drain. So I shocked it good, and it held, but I gave it an extra day at shock just to be sure. $2 now to be absolutely certain or let it come back and start again? No thanks - I'm a cheapskate, but I'm not penny wise and pound foolish. So I recommend repeating the overnight drop test. If you've got the green out, you can concentrate on the fun stuff.

You might want to just print out the directionsso you can read and reread them when having a crisis of doubt.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!